rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjones

Reaction score
i decided i think it would be cool to grow my own hops and i got all excited about it. So i researched it and found you by rhizomes. well, i can't find not one single internet site that has them. where can i get em?

Yeah, they're only available at a particular time of year. A rhizome is basically a bit of the plant that gets chopped off, and when it's replanted it grows into a copy of the original plant. This chopping/replanting works best in spring when the growing conditions are right, so you won't see any rhizomes available until March or April.

But you're right - growing your own hops is awesome.

They seem to be about $4-7. Thyme Garden is a little more pricey on the rhizomes themselves than other places, but the plus side is for an extra $2-5 more than ordering from somewhere else, you can actually pre-order now instead of Feb/March.

OK, let's assume I had someone give me a few rhizomes from their garden, how should they best be handled now for the winter? Put them in a cool, dark place? Plant them in a pot?:confused:

Plant em in a big pot with soil, and either leave em outside, or better yet just put them in the beer fridge if you got one.

Plant em in a big pot with soil, and either leave em outside, or better yet just put them in the beer fridge if you got one.

I can find a big pot, but the beer fridge is full of, well, beer. :) I'll put them in our basement where it stays cool. Thanks.

The hop rhizome will be harvested in early March and sold in early April. Spring is when the roots start sprouting. When you get them, plant them right away. Get 'em in soil and let the fun begin!

I was asked if I would consider growing hops on my south facing acreage by my friends who are home brewers.

In my search today, I've found several sites where they are orderable (come Jan through March). However the Oregon site indicated that there was a Ban on Rhizome shipments/transportation across the WA state line.

So as I haven't found a single source of Rhizomes in WA state... what is the deal???

Cheers and thanks in advance from a very new person.

Check with the local brew supply shops and home brewing clubs. They should be able to steer you to some rhizomes.

How close are you to the Yakima valley? Might be worth a trip to visit some hop growers in that area. I have obtained rhizomes direct from the grower in SW Idaho.

I'm about 2 hrs from the valley. I don't know any of them .... I was hoping for a source locally in the south Puget Sound.... but that might not be available so I'll continue to search and I'll check the Yak val, in Feb. Maybe they just don't advertise....??

FxdGrMind-
I've gotten all my rhizomes from a buddy of mine who is a big hop farmer in Lower Yakima Valley. But I do know that LHBS have them. Talk to Bill at Olympic Brew in Bremerton. He has a list of varieties you can choose from and he'll place the order in April/March.

RE: ban on rhizomes to WA

Washington state grows more hops than any other state in the nation, Oregon is second. The ban of imported rhizomes is to help control pests and diseases from infesting the hop fields. It's geared more towards commercial growers but it affects everyone up there. That said, since there's plenty of hop fields there's also plenty of rhizome suppliers. Your LHBS is a good place to start.

Thanks WApilot, EvilTOJ,

It's been a while since I've been to the LHBS.... Tried to make a Blackberry wine from the abundant source here... Never worked out. But I'll stop back in and see what they can help with.

Cheers and Happy T-Day.

Back