Rhizomes have sprouted, can I ammend the soil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted my Rhizomes and they have sprouted, but I'm not happy with the soil as it doesn't seem to have good drainage. I've purchased some triple mix, and would like to ammend the soil. Is this dangerous, can I sort of do a mini transplant without harming the rhizomes?

You will probably snap off the bines at the rhizome if you try to dig it up and move things around to amend the soil at this point. They are quite tolerant of poor soil at least when establishing, so leave them for this year and amend after they have gone dormant or as soon as the ground thaws next spring. JMO.

If you have space, just work up a new area during this growing season and once they die back this fall they're very easily transplanted at that time. I would just let them get situated this spring rather than trying to move them now though.

Latest posts

Back