Rheostat Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEKvt

Reaction score
So I just fried a fan and am now trying to figure out why, I think I chose the wrong rheostat but figured I'd ask to be sure.

I've got a 24V 0.6amp brushless fan, and a 24V 1amp power supply (both DC). I picked up the radio shack 25ohm 3watt rheostat. I was trying to connect up directly to to the power supply (no switch) so that just plugging it in would get the fan going.

I connected the red wire from the power supply to the left post of the rheostat, and the red wire from the fan to the center. Then linked up the black wires from the fan and power supply. Poof went the fan when I plugged it in. I had previously tested the fan without the rheostat in line and it worked fine.

I've tested the setup with a meter and this is what I find - when I make a connection between the center post to the black (meter in fan position) I get a reading from 0.6 to 1.8amps as I rotate the rheostat, and 24v at all times. Doesn't seem to matter how I do the connections on the rheostat these are the readings I get when I complete the circuit. I've got another fan but obviously am holding off on wiring it until I figure out whether I got the wrong rheostat.

Anyone know what's going on?

Latest posts

Back