Revised buying guide for pH meter (based on the book Water)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon has this meter on sell for $63.00 until the end of the year. Does anybody have any experience with it? Specs looks good:
pH 0.00 to 14.00pH
Temperature 23 to 194°F (-5 to 90°C)
Resolution 0.01pH, 0.1°
Accuracy ±0.01pH, ±1.8°F/±1°C
Power four 3V CR3032 button batteries
Dimensions 1.4 x 6.8 x 1.6" (35.6 x172.7 x 40.6mm) Weight 3.8oz (110g)

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/1...ck.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it, any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Is this a good meter for mash pH? I received this today as a birthday present..

I have that same meter and I have no complaints. Just make sure you order the storage solutions for the electrode and some #7 and #4 solution to calibrate. I calibrate mine every month before I use it.

Hanna-, Milwaukee-, and Adwa- Instruments
Researching the web I made an interesting observation. Hanna, Milwaukee, and Adwa are very likely the same company. They all have office at EXACTLY the same address in Hungary.
...Alsókiköto sor 11., H-6726 Szeged....
So if prices for these 3 brands are similar, it is not a surprise.

In the international market it is commonplace to work with a 'rep' in a country where you don't otherwise have a presence. This is very probably the case here. This outfit represents Hanna, Milwaukee, Adwa and probably several other companies in Hungary.

At the same time 'branding' is often used in the instrument business. For example Beckman made spectrophotometers sold under Hach's brand name for a time (with value added by Hach in the form of firmware for water related tests). Similarly a Hach pH meter contained a PC board made by Orion.

Amazon has this meter on sell for $63.00 until the end of the year. Does anybody have any experience with it? Specs looks good:
pH 0.00 to 14.00pH
Temperature 23 to 194°F (-5 to 90°C)
Resolution 0.01pH, 0.1°
Accuracy ±0.01pH, ±1.8°F/±1°C
Power four 3V CR3032 button batteries
Dimensions 1.4 x 6.8 x 1.6" (35.6 x172.7 x 40.6mm) Weight 3.8oz (110g)

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2014/1...ck.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it, any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

I ended up getting one of these and it worked great for about 2 months then wouldn't calibrate anymore. I always tested at room temp and stored in its cap that had a sponge soaked in calibration solution. I was pretty disappointed however when I called the support number they said they were sending out a new unit no questions asked. They didn't ask for proof of purchase, a serial number or anything. Even said to discard the bad unit. Though I'm not impressed with the unit itself yet, their customer service is outstanding. I'm hoping the second one will be better, will report back.

Sure, I'll look up the instructions on here on how to do it and do one. I was planning on doing one with the old one but then it broke.

so, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Hach 9532000 PH meter, and happened to see this one :confused:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0BA7HG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

does anyone have it, used it, know anything about it? The specs seem to be quite reasonable for our use, but.......can those of you that are more knowledgeable about such things take a look and toss out some opinions please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just naturally skeptical of anything that cheap from an unknown company but my suggestion is always the same: go ahead and get one then do the stability test as described in https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=302256 and report back to us here. You may lose $45 but the rest of the readership benefits. I guess I should point out, before so cavalierly advising you to toss $45 'for the team', that this one apparently requires the NIST buffer for calibration near 7, not the NIST traceable technical buffer that most meters use. This buffer is available but not nearly so readily as the pH 7.00 technical buffer which is available anywhere.

I guess I should point out, before so cavalierly advising you to toss $45 'for the team', that this one apparently requires the NIST buffer for calibration near 7, not the NIST traceable technical buffer that most meters use. This buffer is available but not nearly so readily as the pH 7.00 technical buffer which is available anywhere.

Yeah, that was the part that got my attention as well, the "near 7" thing. Most of the others I've looked at mention even numbered calibration, whereas this one is, well, not quite exactly 7. The lack of availability concerns me.

I agree with the skepticism, always there myself with the 'cheepies'.

Meh....$45 in the large scheme of expenditures I make with this obsession...oops, I mean hobby.... probably not really a killer of the beer budget. I have learned that sometimes it takes spending that little bit on the first time out to learn how to use something, is not so bad.

Any updates on stability for the Omega 7011? Ive narrowed my options to three in order

1. Omega
2. Hach +
3. MW101

I ordered the Omega PHH-7200, but a week later and it still hasn't shipped. On their website and in the confirmation email I received, they state they ship within one business day, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone comment on how quickly Hach shipped their order? I am considering cancelling my order with Omega and ordering the Hach unit since I have no idea when I can expect to receive my order from Omega.

That's good to hear. I noticed the Hach meter is also available on Amazon with Prime shipping. If Omega doesn't ship by Monday I think I'll cancel and get the Hach. I like that the Omega comes with a carrying case and calibration solutions, but I want to get something soon so I can start playing with it :)

Just wanted to share my experience trying to order the PHH-7200 from Omega.

I placed the order on 7/10 when 18 of the units were listed as in stock. Omega's website states that orders with UPS ground shipping go out the next business day. I received an order confirmation email saying my order was scheduled to ship on 7/11.

By 7/13 the order status page indicated that the order still had not shipped, so I emailed Omega and asked for an update. They replied that they would expedite the order.

By 7/16 the order still had not shipped, so I emailed again and inquired if the meter was indeed in stock. Omega responded early on 7/18 that they would place an 'urgent expedite' request to ship the order.

By the end of the day on 7/18 the order status still had not changed, so I emailed Omega and requested that they cancel the order. By mid day on 7/19, they had not responded to my cancellation request, though they had responded to my previous emails early in the morning. I used their online chat and was able to get the order cancelled. The chat agent was helpful and able to cancel the order without issue.

I share this story because while I'm sure the Omega is a great meter, the product is only available from Omega themselves. Shipping cost is $10 for ground service, and nine days after placing my order it still had not shipped.

The Hach meter is available on Amazon with Prime shipping, so I have ordered that and should have it within a couple of days.

Just wanted to share my experience trying to order the PHH-7200 from Omega.

I placed the order on 7/10 when 18 of the units were listed as in stock. Omega's website states that orders with UPS ground shipping go out the next business day. I received an order confirmation email saying my order was scheduled to ship on 7/11.

By 7/13 the order status page indicated that the order still had not shipped, so I emailed Omega and asked for an update. They replied that they would expedite the order.

By 7/16 the order still had not shipped, so I emailed again and inquired if the meter was indeed in stock. Omega responded early on 7/18 that they would place an 'urgent expedite' request to ship the order.

By the end of the day on 7/18 the order status still had not changed, so I emailed Omega and requested that they cancel the order. By mid day on 7/19, they had not responded to my cancellation request, though they had responded to my previous emails early in the morning. I used their online chat and was able to get the order cancelled. The chat agent was helpful and able to cancel the order without issue.

I share this story because while I'm sure the Omega is a great meter, the product is only available from Omega themselves. Shipping cost is $10 for ground service, and nine days after placing my order it still had not shipped.

The Hach meter is available on Amazon with Prime shipping, so I have ordered that and should have it within a couple of days.

Thanks for sharing. I've been holding back on getting a meter(omega, hach+, or mw101/102). The cost of replacement probes from omega had me leaning towards them but after your exp. I would now feel better with the others. Still debating if a meter is necessary at all considering cost and maintenance. I've been going back and forth for a year now on this...

Sure! I was also leaning toward Omega due to price, and the fact their meters come with a carrying case and pH calibration solutions. I'm sure they are a good meter, but I at least like to have an idea of when I'll receive a product :)

I received my Hach meter the other day. The box was covered in soap, which was.....odd, but the meter is fine. I haven't had a chance to calibrate it yet. It seems to take a long time (~5 minutes) to stabilize reading my tap water, but I'm hoping a calibration will fix that. Should get my calibration solutions this week.

UPDATE 8/9/16: It turns out I received a bad batch of pH buffers from Atlas Scientific, leading the the calibration errors. The Hach meter was not to blame after all.

I'm planning on brewing tomorrow, so tonight I decided to try out my Hach Procket Pro+ for the first time to test the pH of my water after my additions. FWIW, I work in a lab and use a laboratory pH meter on a weekly basis.

First observation: as mentioned in an earlier post, the Pocket Pro+ box arrived covered in some sticky/slimy substance which I later determined to be soap. I purchased the meter through Hach's Amazon storefront, but as it was fulfilled by Amazon I can't say if this is Hach or Amazon's fault. Strange and a little unsettling, but everything inside the box was unaffected.

The included instructions don't contain any information about probe storage, but they direct you to the online manual, which is in the form of a PDF. This manual does not have any storage information either, so it's not really clear if the probe is intended to be stored wet, as with most meters, or if it matters at all.

I set out to perform a three point calibration using brand new calibration solutions, at room temperature (72F). The sensor and sample cup were rinsed with distilled water and wiped dry with Kimwipes before calibration and in between each step. The first calibration attempt did not succeed. After calibration completed, "SENSOR?" was flashing on the screen. According to the manual, this has something to do with either a dirty sensor or a calibration slope plus/minus 10-15%. I had cleaned the sensor before starting, but decided to try again.

I attempted to perform two more calibrations after the first. The second calibration resulted in "ECAL" and the calibration icon flashing with a question mark next to it. This indicates a calibration slope greater than plus/minus 15%, according to the manual. The third calibration attempt produced the same results as the first, with "SENSOR?" flashing on screen.

Other observations: the paint for the fill line on the sample cup more resembles a dry-erase marker than anything permanent. Having used the meter one time it has smeared and started to come off. I suspect it doesn't stand up to the calibration solutions. The fill level isn't critical as long as the sensor is submerged, so this isn't a huge deal.

So, it looks like I received a dud.

Hach advertised a 6 week lead time on my replacement probe (I broke the original, my fault). The probe arrived in less than two weeks. After using pocket pH meters daily for 30 years at work, the pocket pro+ is by far the best one. I also have a MW102, but use the Hach for its quick readings and stability.

Amazon had the Hach Pocket Pro+ Multi2 in stock, so I decided to purchase that, and it arrived today. The TDS feature will be useful to monitor the life of my RO filter.

I ran into the same problem calibrating this unit as I did with the last unit. I'm beginning to suspect bad calibration solution, in which case my original Hach meter was likely fine. Have the Hach owners on this board been performing a three-point calibration? If I can identify the calibration solution as the culprit, I'll edit my previous post to reflect that the Hach meter was not to blame.

A 3 point calibration is really two two-point calibrations one for the 4 to 7 pH range and one for the 7 to 10 range. There is no benefit in a 3 point calibration if you are not measuring pH above 7.

Two identical failures is very strange and the probability is very low. I suspect a headset error of some sort. Try a two point cal (4 and 7) and check the Calibration Sticky at Brewing Science for tips. I believe you are the first to try one of the Hach meters with the conductivity option so perhaps there are QA problems with that model none of us know about. There were problems with the Pro + but those seem to have. been dealt with.

First observation: as mentioned in an earlier post, the Pocket Pro+ box arrived covered in some sticky/slimy substance which I later determined to be soap.

Still looking for possible explanations I reread the OP. This is indeed strange. Are we sure this is a reliable supplier? I believe Amazon does a good job of vetting but if there is a way to beat their system someone will find it.

Other observations: the paint for the fill line on the sample cup more resembles a dry-erase marker than anything permanent. Having used the meter one time it has smeared and started to come off. I suspect it doesn't stand up to the calibration solutions.
This is also strange. I don't have my unit with me but I certainly never noticed any reaction between any part of the meter and the buffers. Where did the buffers come from?

The fill level isn't critical as long as the sensor is submerged, so this isn't a huge deal.
The bulb must be immersed but so must the junction (little flat button thing on the sensor bulkhead). If it wasn't that would certainly explain the erratic readings.

Still looking for possible explanations I reread the OP. This is indeed strange. Are we sure this is a reliable supplier? I believe Amazon does a good job of vetting but if there is a way to beat their system someone will find it.

Hach has an Amazon storefront and they are the supplier. Amazon fulfills the orders, so it's impossible to say how the box ended up in such condition. The second meter I received (the Multi2) did not have this problem.

This is also strange. I don't have my unit with me but I certainly never noticed any reaction between any part of the meter and the buffers. Where did the buffers come from?

Buffers also came from Amazon, brand was Atlas Scientific.

The bulb must be immersed but so must the junction (little flat button thing on the sensor bulkhead). If it wasn't that would certainly explain the erratic readings.

Everything was fully immersed in the buffers. I'm fairly certain at this point that both meters I've received have been functioning normally, I think the buffer solution is to blame. I'm going to try calibrating the meter with the buffer solutions we use at the lab where I work to confirm.

I was able to calibrate the Hach Pocket Pro+ Multi2 today using Oakton pH buffers from the lab where I work. The meter calibrated withoutt any of the issues I encountered previously, so I am confident in saying the pH buffers I purchased from Atlas Scientific were no good. I've updated my previous post with this new information.

Which buffer was the bad one? The 5 and 7 buffers use, respectively, the pthallc acid and phosphoric acid systems and are quite stable but the 10 buffer used the bicarbonate system and is quite unstable against the CO2 content of the air.

In any case, glad to hear things worked out for you.

As a cheaper alternative to some of the more recommended pH meters in this thread, I recently purchased this 'Just UTile' brand pH meter from Amazon for just over $20: https://goo.gl/EVWa1n

I (also) work in a research lab, so I'll be testing how it compares to our 'real' pH meter at work and I'll post my findings here to let you know how it turned out!

Alright, so I got a chance to test this 'Just UTile' brand pH meter in my lab. The verdict: it works pretty OK.

I calibrated as instructed. It comes with three small packages of dry calibration buffer that you are to mix with 250mL of distilled (I used DI) water to make the calibration solution. I measured my 250mL of water with a graduated cylinder and mixed each solution on a stir-plate for about 1 minute. No solids were still visible after the minute.

First, I measured the pH of each of my calibration solutions with our Denver Instruments UB-10 pH meter. The 6.86 buffer came out at 6.87, the 4.00 buffer read at 3.99, and the 9.18 buffer was the only one substantially off at 9.38. Next, I calibrated the Just Utile meter using these solutions, making sure to rinse it off with DI water and dry it with a kimwipe in between each buffer.

To see how well the Just Utile performs, I used it to take readings from pH4.01, 7.00, and 10.01 buffers I had in the lab. I also took readings with my Denver Instruments meter.

Just Utile:

Denver Instruments:

So, basically, the Just UTile meter works, but is not very impressive. Personally, I probably wouldn't trust it if you need very accurate readings, but it seems like it should be able to give you 'ball park' readings without any trouble. We'll see how it holds up over time!

Alright, so I got a chance to test this 'Just UTile' brand pH meter in my lab. The verdict: it works pretty OK.

I calibrated as instructed. It comes with three small packages of dry calibration buffer that you are to mix with 250mL of distilled (I used DI) water to make the calibration solution. I measured my 250mL of water with a graduated cylinder and mixed each solution on a stir-plate for about 1 minute. No solids were still visible after the minute.

First, I measured the pH of each of my calibration solutions with our Denver Instruments UB-10 pH meter. The 6.86 buffer came out at 6.87, the 4.00 buffer read at 3.99, and the 9.18 buffer was the only one substantially off at 9.38. Next, I calibrated the Just Utile meter using these solutions, making sure to rinse it off with DI water and dry it with a kimwipe in between each buffer.

To see how well the Just Utile performs, I used it to take readings from pH4.01, 7.00, and 10.01 buffers I had in the lab. I also took readings with my Denver Instruments meter.

Just Utile:

Denver Instruments:

So, basically, the Just UTile meter works, but is not very impressive. Personally, I probably wouldn't trust it if you need very accurate readings, but it seems like it should be able to give you 'ball park' readings without any trouble. We'll see how it holds up over time!

Any further findings on the just Utile meter? Also is the cap able to hold storage solution to keep the probe moist?

Any further findings on the just Utile meter? Also is the cap able to hold storage solution to keep the probe moist?

No, I haven't got the chance to brew with it yet, just been busy with work, and no the cap does not contain any kind of reservoir for storage solution.

Just wondering which pH meter is currently recommended. Pages back, the Hach Pocket Pro + is viewed favorably. Is this still a good choice, and if so, have I found the right one here online? http://ca.hach.com/pocket-pro-ph-tester/product?id=17990686222

This one is sold online through Ontario Beer Kegs. Is it a good option as well? http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Hanna_Instruments_Checker_pH_Meter_p/ph-meter-checker.htm

If you are in Canada just stick with: http://www.omega.ca/pptst_eng/PHH-7000.html

Replacement probes for MW102 and Hach Pocket Pro+ aren't really available up here...

Probes for the MW102 are available anywhere in the world. That is the beauty of using a meter that accepts BNC-cabled pH probes. There are literally thousands of probes that fit when you have a BNC connector. And all pH probes have identical operational standards, so it will work on all meters.

Buying a meter that can only be used with a single manufacturer's proprietary probe is going to be more costly and less available.

Choose wisely.

Thanks for the reply guys. So it sounds like the MW102 is the best unit as long as I can find replacement probes. @mabrungard - So I should be able to find a generic probe easily through online lab equipment suppliers? Sorry if I sound completely clueless on this... I have zero experience with lab equipment.

Latest posts

Back