Hach Pocket Pro+ vs Omega Phh 7011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinSoldier

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been reading and reading and more reading for the past few weeks.

I have had a few pH meters over the years. First was a Milwaukee MW-102 which I absolutely hated, was inaccurate, drifted all over the place. Replaced the electrode with a brand new one thinking it was the problem. Switched out calibration solutions and tried different brands. horrible customer service but I won't get into that. Long story short, I wouldn't recommend this pH meter to anyone and I won't buy any other products from them going forward.

Next up was my $1,500 lab grade benchtop Mettler Toledo pH meter which has worked great for years. Very accurate and quick readings. Amazing screen and functionality. Needless to say, it's time for a new probe at the cost of almost $400. On top of that, the plastic of the electrode holding arm failed at the base so needs to be replaced as well. That is another $150(cheapest I've found online). So on that note, I want to buy a nice quality PORTABLE pen style meter. Based on all of the reviews and recommendations from some of the well known water experts that are on this forum, I have narrowed down my decision to two meters. Im either pulling the trigger on the Hach Pocket Pro+ or the Omega PHH-7011. It is really weird I can't find any youtube videos of either of them in action. I really like that the Omega comes with a case that stores everything which is super convenient. I also really like the fact that Omega replacement probes are only $47 vs $83 for the Hach. Not to mention, shipping from Hach is ridiculous vs a reasonable shipping charge from Omega.

That all said, they both have replaceable probes, .01 accuracy and resolution, all in one pH meters, and both have good reviews from what I can find(other than Amazon or some older reviews of the Hach being DOA or dying pretty quickly).

For those of you who have/had either or both of them, what do you think of them and would you buy them again?? I'm really unsure of which to go with but i'm leaning towards the Omega. Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.

There have been a bunch of posts on both meters on HBT. The Hach is one of the three that have demonstrated performance and stability at a more or less consumer-friendly price.

Omega PHH7011 posts

Hach Pocket Pro+ posts

I've had the Hach PP+ for a couple of years after a few years using a Hanna 98128. It performs adequately - most importantly it's very stable. I do agree the sensor replacement price is crazy expensive (having murdered the original sensor). Had to drink a lot of homebrew to amortize the replacement ;)

Cheers!

There have been a bunch of posts on both meters on HBT. The Hach is one of the three that have demonstrated performance and stability at a more or less consumer-friendly price.

Omega PHH7011 posts

Hach Pocket Pro+ posts

I've had the Hach PP+ for a couple of years after a few years using a Hanna 98128. It performs adequately - most importantly it's very stable. I do agree the sensor replacement price is crazy expensive (having murdered the original sensor). Had to drink a lot of homebrew to amortize the replacement ;)

Cheers!

I appreciate the input. Yeah I guess I should've clarified a bit. When I said I've been reading my eyes off, I meant extreme Google searches and on here. Over the past few days, I think I've read every thread on this forum with both of those meters in them. That said, there really isn't anything recent and a bunch of them are like 3-4 post threads.

Which ever one I end up with, I'll do a decent review on and post it on the forum, comparing it against my Mettler Toledo.

I actually pulled the trigger on the Pocket Pro+ on Amazon(sold by Hach though) prior to creating this thread and then cancelled it like 30 minutes later. It wouldn't let me of course..gotta love Amazon.

The fact that the sensor replacement is 3/4 of the price of a whole new unit is really bugging me. I may end up with the Omega but we shall see.

On your Hach, how long would you say it takes to dial in on a specific room temperature reading?

With the original sensor it would take a good 10-15 seconds for a stable reading.
The replacement sensor is much quicker - like 5 seconds and boom! it's stable.
So, count on somewhere in between.

fwiw, I noticed this Apera meter on Amazon. There isn't much on it here but what there is is encouraging. Replaceable sensor for hella less than the Hach...

Cheers!

So reading the info and reviews on that Apera model, it seems to meet all the same requirements as the other two I am looking at.

-.01 resolution and .01 accuracy
-replaceable electrode(per reviews they are coming out with a more accurate electrode that will also fix the issue with bubbles getting caught around the bulb...sometime by the end of 2018)
-quick calibration and readings
-a really nice 3 color backlit screen
-cheap electrode replacements

It also has quite a few reviews on Amazon, mostly positive and comes with a case like the Omega. Might be worth a try.

The Apera that day trippr linked has a 10% off coupon. Don't forget to check the box if you are ordering it.

Well after messing with the Pocket Pro+ for the past few weeks, and using it on brewday this past Friday, it is getting returned. I'm sure my electrode is bad after troubleshooting twice with Hach. Even after calibration in current NIST traceable buffer solutions, the probe was reading .07-.12 off in the actual solution I calibrated them in. Not acceptable. So then I call Hach again for warranty and guess what, even though it's sold by Hach on Amazon(and full filled by Amazon), they don't honor the warranty. Only if you buy directly through their website. Amazon as always was great and offered to send me a new one but if I don't have a warranty on a brand new product, that's a deal breaker.

I went ahead and placed my order through Omega for their PHH-7011. After $15 shipping and $10 in tax, it came out to the same amount I paid for the Hach.

I'll put it through some testing and will repost on it.

With the original sensor it would take a good 10-15 seconds for a stable reading.
The replacement sensor is much quicker - like 5 seconds and boom! it's stable.
So, count on somewhere in between.

fwiw, I noticed this Apera meter on Amazon. There isn't much on it here but what there is is encouraging. Replaceable sensor for hella less than the Hach...

Cheers!

I have the Apera meter and have been very satisfied with it. Very quick readings (give a slight shake to dislodge any air bubbles near the sensor and it’s 2-3 seconds to stability). Calibration doesn’t drift farther then 0.1 pH units between months of storage (using the KCl solution). Two thumbs up!

After reading the user manual on line I have to say the Apera has clearest most sensible probe storage instructions of any meter I've read about: leave the probe soaking in their storage solution and it should be ready to go any time.

By comparison, my Hanna instructs placing a few drops of their KCL storage solution in the cap - not enough to actually contact the sensor bulb or junction - which has never made any sense to me. And my Hach PP+ says to just put a few drops of non-DI/RO water in the cap. That actually makes more sense than the Hanna if all you're going for is humidity...

Good luck with the Apera! It might be my next pH meter :)

Cheers!

Well dang..I wish this would've got posted yesterday. I went ahead and ordered the Omega PHH-7011 after finding a few detailed reviews and stability tests. Also spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Omega's "pH department". The guy I spoke with actually had one next to him and went through a few things I asked him to which I thought was pretty cool. It doesn't have a backlit screen which would be nice, but not completely necessary.

The probe on the Omega also gets submerged in storage solution and is ready to go.

If I had seen Isomerizations post before ordering, I probably would've went with the Apera. We will see how this Omega works though. It will be here on Tuesday.

I have had my Hach for around 4-5 years with no apparent issues with the original sensor. I calibrate it every brew day. I'm not as meticulous as some when it comes to pH readings but I leave it for a good 1-2 minutes to stabilize. It is probably due for a new replacement probe but when I looked at it a few years ago the price was staggering. Around 1/2 to 3/4 the price of the original purchase price.

Well dang..I wish this would've got posted yesterday. I went ahead and ordered the Omega PHH-7011 after finding a few detailed reviews and stability tests. Also spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Omega's "pH department". The guy I spoke with actually had one next to him and went through a few things I asked him to which I thought was pretty cool. It doesn't have a backlit screen which would be nice, but not completely necessary.

The probe on the Omega also gets submerged in storage solution and is ready to go.

If I had seen Isomerizations post before ordering, I probably would've went with the Apera. We will see how this Omega works though. It will be here on Tuesday.

I really have no complaints with the unit, other than the calibration and storage solutions are very minimal in volume, but I’d guess you have plenty of those solutions given your posts in this thread! Good luck with your research :)

Quick update...

Just received my Omega PHH-7011 today. Out of the box, it was reading 4.03 on the 4.01 buffer and 7.02 on the 7.0 buffer. Calibrated it with the included buffers in the nice little plastic case that it came in. Retested the buffers and it was dead on. Then decided to try another brand(Mettler Toledo) NIST traceable buffers that I have. Again, dead on at 4.01 and 7.0. It took less than 15 seconds per buffer to get a stable reading. Then tested my RO water that has been previously tested with my $1500 mettler Toledo pH meter. Again, it tested dead on at 6.49. Then tested the tap water which came in right at 8.0.

Much, MUCH happier with this meter over the Hach Pocket Pro +. Not to mention the calibration was way easier and quicker on the Omega. No backlight on the screen which kinda sucks but I'd rather have a more accurate meter than a backlight.

If anyone who reads this in the future is deciding between these two meters, the Omega definitely gets my vote having owned both. If my decision changes in the next few months, I will update this post. And for those wondering why I purchased another pH meter when I already have a fancy lab grade Mettler Toledo, it's because it is time for a new electrode and at almost $400, I decided to go the Omega route for now. Not to mention the Omega is way smaller and portable so I don't have to keep running back and forth between the garage and the bedroom to take readings.

Last edited:
So I read the post by AJ, and am currently at the 140 minute mark. One thing I'm not sure if I'm doing right or not though. Should I be turning off the pH meter in between tests? Then turning it back on and letting it stabilize and take the reading?

The way ive been doing it is ive turned off the auto shut off and have just been letting it soak in the ph 4.0 buffer and checking it at the suggested intervals, and then writting them down so I can plot a graph and post it when I'm done. That would really suck if I'm doing it wrong. :(

Here is a graph if the way I did the test was correct. Also, I was trying to put temps on the graph too but couldn't figure it out. I started getting too tired but the temps flucuated between 18.8°C-19.0°C the entire 3 hours. One other thing that could cause a small inconsistency is at the 6 minute mark where it dropped from 4 to 3.9, I powered it off and then back on which is when it dropped to 3.9. That's where I turned the auto shut off to off and left it in the solution soaking for the rest of the time. I'm probably going to do the test one more time for good measure, but I definitely need to figure out if I should be turning the meter off and on in between readings.
Omega Graph.jpg

Last edited:
Back