review my oaked honey rye pale ale recipe please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
American 2 row - 6.5lbs
White wheat - 2.5lbs
Rye malt - 1lb
Honey malt - 12oz
Flaked, rye - 8oz
Biscuit malt - 5oz
Caramel 10 - 4oz

.25oz magnum - fwh
.5oz chinook - 15
.5oz chinook - 10
.5oz Willamette - 5
.5oz Willamette - 0
.25oz magnum - 0

Whirlfloc - 15
Yeast nutrient - 15

Bry-97 west coast ale

Light toasted American oak chips soaked in bourbon - 9 days?

Mash 60mins @ 150°

Thanks for all your help!

To be honest, it looks a bit...confused...to me. I'm sure it'll work, I'm just not sure what you're going for. It just looks like a whole lot of different things going on, flavor-wise.

Looking for a light low ibu easy drinker. With honey and rye. I just figured the bourbon oak was a natural fit. I have never had oak in a beer i made. What seems to be the most confusing part?

Looking for a light low ibu easy drinker. With honey and rye. I just figured the bourbon oak was a natural fit. I have never had oak in a beer i made. What seems to be the most confusing part?

Looks good...just a couple things

1. 4oz of caramel is going to do nothing behind 12oz of honey malt.
2. 5oz of biscuit is going to be very subtle, up it to 5-8%
3. If you want to taste the rye I would up it to 10-15%
4. The Bry97 is a hop KILLER, it flocs so hard that it pulls alpha acids out of suspension, making your beer less bitter. Adjust hops for this.
5. .25 magnum @ FWH will yield 10IBU, up it to .5 for 20IBU to deal with the BRY97
6. Mash at 152-154 for some residual sweetness to pair with the oak and bourbon.

On a beer this light you might want to consider boiling the chips in water for a minute or 2 to pull out some harsh tannins/phenols from the wood. Soak it in bourbon for a week and add just the oak to the beer, adjust with soaked bourbon to taste in bottling bucket.

Cheers!

Looks good...just a couple things

1. 4oz of caramel is going to do nothing behind 12oz of honey malt.
2. 5oz of biscuit is going to be very subtle, up it to 5-8%
3. If you want to taste the rye I would up it to 10-15%
4. The Bry97 is a hop KILLER, it flocs so hard that it pulls alpha acids out of suspension, making your beer less bitter. Adjust hops for this.
5. .25 magnum @ FWH will yield 10IBU, up it to .5 for 20IBU to deal with the BRY97
6. Mash at 152-154 for some residual sweetness to pair with the oak and bourbon.

On a beer this light you might want to consider boiling the chips in water for a minute or 2 to pull out some harsh tannins/phenols from the wood. Soak it in bourbon for a week and add just the oak to the beer, adjust with soaked bourbon to taste in bottling bucket.

Cheers!

thanks a lot. the combination of rye is 12% is that not enough? should i go wth one and not the other? also how are the hops for this?

thanks a lot. the combination of rye is 12% is that not enough? should i go wth one and not the other? also how are the hops for this?

I dont get much "spicy" rye with flaked additions and would use it instead of most of that wheat. I think that was another confusing point for the earlier poster, If your using wheat for head retention (in which cause you dont need that much and can replace the % you take out with flaked rye) or using it for a "wheat" beer recipe (you would have to up it to around 50%)

Honestly ive never seen a williamette chinook pale.
Williamette is great in low IBU pales but something that would get overwhelmed by the aggressive "spicy" "piney" chinook. Magnum is a great hop to bitter with but be ready for a sharp bitterness up front from the high AA hops. Using more material at a lower AA will give you a smoother "earthy" bitterness. I use this method alot more in my malty english pales where i want not only the bitterness but flavor from the hop to really balance it all out.

Cheers!
Replace the chinook with something like cascade(pale) or cenntennial(ipa) and youll have a great mild citrusy ipa/pale on your hands depending on hop rate.

I dont get much "spicy" rye with flaked additions and would use it instead of most of that wheat. I think that was another confusing point for the earlier poster, If your using wheat for head retention (in which cause you dont need that much and can replace the % you take out with flaked rye) or using it for a "wheat" beer recipe (you would have to up it to around 50%)

Honestly ive never seen a williamette chinook pale.
Williamette is great in low IBU pales but something that would get overwhelmed by the aggressive "spicy" "piney" chinook. Magnum is a great hop to bitter with but be ready for a sharp bitterness up front from the high AA hops. Using more material at a lower AA will give you a smoother "earthy" bitterness. I use this method alot more in my malty english pales where i want not only the bitterness but flavor from the hop to really balance it all out.

Cheers!
Replace the chinook with something like cascade(pale) or cenntennial(ipa) and youll have a great mild citrusy ipa/pale on your hands depending on hop rate.

thanks againyou have been a great help. check this out for some interesting chinook/willamette combos https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/willamette-chinook-blend-131694/

final grain bill OBJECT: to try something new.
American 2 row - 6.5lbs
White wheat - 2.5lbs
Rye malt - 1lb
Honey malt - 1lb
Flaked, rye - 1lb
Victory - 12oz

.25oz magnum - fwh
.5oz magnum - 20
.25oz chinook - 15
.5oz chinook - 10
.5oz chinook - 5
.25oz magnum - 0

Whirlfloc - 15
Yeast nutrient - 15

Bry-97 west coast ale

1oz Light toasted American oak chips boiled ten mins then soaked in bourbon - 9 days
Not sure how long to age with yet.

Mash 60mins @ 152°

Edit: missed my og by a good ten points. I rushed my brew day. Added 1 lb pilsen dme and 1/2 cup packed of brown sugar. Also .33oz of amarillo hops boiled 20 mins. In future cut honey down to 1/2 lb. Maybe.

Yikes.

ForumRunner_20130630_010839.jpg

ForumRunner_20130630_010856.jpg

Back