reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyking95

Reaction score
A member of our home brew club gave me leftover washed yeast about 9 months ago. It has been in the frig all that time but now I think I want to try and use it. Can I just make a yeast starter with good nutrient and reuse? Will it come "back to life"?

Thanks for any info....

Jim

I would for sure make a starter. I would just see if it ferments out, if it does I would just use it.

I have used yeast that I have washed that has been at least that old and it work great. It just needed a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a similar scenario and my wheat ale turned out very Belgish (not what I was looking for). It was a harvest of Bell's yeast.
I got some advice from some gurus at my brew club who said they thought I over stressed it by starting it so quickly. I did a 1.8L starter. The suggested starting it with a smaller starter so that the yeast is not overstressed while multiplying. I hope that advice is good, but I have not verified it with any resource.

It should be OK in a starter. I think I would try washing it first. the dead yeast should drop and the live yeast should stay in suspension. That way you don't get the dead yeast or any autolysis flavors in the starter.

Back