Reusing starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havox07

Reaction score
Hey guys. Made a yeast starter probably 3 weeks ago for a heffe. Took most of it and pitched it. But took the little extra wort which was left and through it in there with the last bit of yeast.

Anyways its been in the fridge since then and around 4 days ago I decanted and stored some in the freezer but there was still a good amount in the bottom. To get to the point can I just add wort to this let it go for a day and probably have a decent enough starter for another round of heffe?

yup, I do that kinda stuff all the time. Just practice good sanitation

I've used leftover yeast residue from starters to make mini starters to set aside for the next starter/brew day, and it works great.

I generally just let my starter settle at room temp, decant and save the spent wort, then pitch. I then cold crash the spent wort and save the remaining yeast residue for the next time, or fire up another starter and split up the results for multiple starters in the future.

I also recently started freezing based on methods found here on HBT, but I've not yet used one.

Latest posts

Back