Reusing caps... for a reason

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LONE9653

Reaction score
So I've scanned through previous posts and no one really had a good reason for why they wanted to reuse caps, especially when the counter arguement is " They are just too cheap to buy new"

Here is my deal, I plan on tricking my brother with a gift.

I've brewed up a stout with the same color as as a coke. Got some glass coke bottles, and subsiquently the caps (though used) with them (as they were new cokes when i bought them)

Now if I were to use new cheap caps, i know it is safe, but he would know right away it wasnt a coke. And i want to use the original cap, but would i be giving the gift of botulism if I did?

No, there would be no more risk of botulism than with new caps so long as they sealed just fine. As long as you pry them up carefully, then sanitize them like you would new caps, you'll be ok.
I've reused caps as an experiment and they held pressure just fine.

The other option is if you have a grocery store that sticks those "paid" stickers on something after you buy it. Like if it's too big or you opt for no bag or something. Stick that on a plain red cap after you cap it. Unless you're planning to give him a six pack, then that won't really work.

Maybe add just a tiny bit of keg lube around the mouth of the bottle for insurance?

I have a couple of bags of original Coke caps. Bags are labeled not for commercial use though. Was okay for home brewing. Cork in the caps may be to dry to form a good seal by now. The caps were from my first brewing adventures in the late 80s'.

So I've scanned through previous posts and no one really had a good reason for why they wanted to reuse caps, especially when the counter arguement is " They are just too cheap to buy new"

Here is my deal, I plan on tricking my brother with a gift.

I've brewed up a stout with the same color as as a coke. Got some glass coke bottles, and subsiquently the caps (though used) with them (as they were new cokes when i bought them)

Now if I were to use new cheap caps, i know it is safe, but he would know right away it wasnt a coke. And i want to use the original cap, but would i be giving the gift of botulism if I did?

I like the spirit, but he'll know it's not coke as soon as he pours it, unless you've done something to completely kill the head on the stout.

I did this with Newcastle. I have an opener or two that doesn't really bend the cap. I'm actually able to push the cap back on after I open it and hear it click into place. I used the caps to bottle a Newcastle and told a guy to blind test himself.

Restaurant-style "churchkeys" with a can opener on one end (looks like the end of a spade) and a bottle-opener on the other end works great - just use the can-opener end. They don't bend the caps at all. I was able to re-seal a bomber this way and it was just as carbonated the following night.

Latest posts

Back