reusing ale yeast from cider in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
Bottled some cider today I fermented with wlp060 and have saved some yeast cake to use in a pumpkin ale in a few days. Then I started wondering if the yeast might change after fermenting in juice. Did a search and came up empty handed. anyone have any experience or input?

I would assume it might add some remnant taste from the juice, which would be pretty negligible in a 5-6 gal batch. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. sounds like an interesting experiment, let us know how it turns out.

I was listening to the Jamil show episode on cider today. He advises against this for the same reason you shouldn't make a starter with table sugar: once the yeast has adjusted to fermenting simple sugar it mutates, gets lazy and will not ferment maltose as well.

SterlingHopper said:
I was listening to the Jamil show episode on cider today. He advises against this for the same reason you shouldn't make a starter with table sugar: once the yeast has adjusted to fermenting simple sugar it mutates, gets lazy and will not ferment maltose as well.

Thanks! Good info. Going to just pick up a new vial. Might mess with it later though.

Once yeast ferments sucrose all it wants to eat is sucrose. Since beer is mainly maltose the yeast won't ferment it properly. You can wash your cider yeast, but use it to make cider again. Not beer!

Latest posts

Back