Returning Wort to BK with RIMS....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tularac

Reaction score
Question for you all.

I plan on building a RIMS system very shortly.
Right now i am 3 tier gravity with two Lowes coolers and a Boil kettle.

I am planning on building a RIMS System and want to know how to properly return heated wort to the mash. Should i tie it into the fly sparge to avoid disturbing the grain bed?

What do you do?

:edit: Also my Mash ratio is 1.5 qt per LB of grain.

I started with a weldless fitting & a loc-line return on the inside, long enough that I could lower and set a good length parallel with the top of the mash and set it under liquid level a bit to encourage a swirl-type of return around the outside.

I've since switched to using a BIAB bag in the mash and couldn't easily route the loc-line on the inside of the bag, so I just use a long length of silicone tubing going back in through the top of the keg in a similar style. Both seem to work alright with fairly minimal channeling (at least in terms of visibility on the grain bed and no real stratification of temps).

I keep an inch of wort above the grain and just let a coil of the hose sit on top of the grain.

I use Loc-Line and a wort aerator to break up the return flow and avoid channeling. During the mash, I position the aerator below liquid surface to avoid introducing oxygen:

img_0801-66718.jpg

Latest posts

Back