Returning recirculated wort to the MLT - above or below surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skifast1

Reaction score
One of the last items for my 10-gal MLT is to rig up the return line for the recirculated wort (simple HERMS). It'll enter via 1/2" bulkhead at the top of the cooler, but I'm interested in opinions on how to deliver the recirc'd wort to the mash. (Note: I'm not planning to do any fly sparging, just batch, and the lauter mechanism is a simple loop of braided SST)

Options:

1) Sprinkler-style manifold a-la fly sparging. More complicated to build and possibly unnecessary?

2) Return line submerged a few inches below the mash surface. May require some adjustment for varying mash volumes by batch.

3) Return line that terminates just above the mash and uses a simple deflection plate to disperse the returning wort.

I guess the thrust of my question is whether recirculating wort (both during the mash and vorlauf) needs to be dispersed. I think a sub-surface return would be best to minimize aeration, and the batch sparging means I'm not concerned about channelling during runoff, but I'd like the input of the expert AG'ers. Thanks! :mug:

I use a simple copper "H" pattern made from 1/2 copper tubing. Cheap and easy to build. The upper pipe goes thru the MT lid and is long enuff to be adjustable in height to meet whatever grain bed depth im using. I just push the connections together, no need for soldering...

edit, you keep refering to sparge method. What your wanting to do has nothing to do w/ sparge method, your just recir. for clarity and temp ramps........
Pic of return manifold...
TopManifold.jpg

Blktre said:
...you keep refering to sparge method. What your wanting to do has nothing to do w/ sparge method, your just recir. for clarity and temp ramps........

Agreed, only that my intention not to fly sparge supports not needing the typical sprinkler + slotted tube setup

Back