Return of the Extract w/ Specialty Grains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekp83

Reaction score
Just brewed an all-grain pale ale. It was a test batch that I'm fermenting in my Mr. Beer fermenter (2 gal). Anyway, I think the beer will turn out great, but my brew day was a real chore today. I know, labor of love, but clean up was a real pain in the rear: it's damn near impossible to pour the wort into those things. I spilled all kinds of wet hops gunk around the outside of it. Beer streamed down the counter to the kitchen floor. Lots of fun :) I think I need a giant funnel with a strainer that I can stick right above the neck of it.

Anyway, I think I'm going to do a few extract w/ specialty grains in the fall and winter. Nothing like the ease of the method. Just thought I'd share with you extract brewers out there.

Happy brewing!

It doesn't seem like any of the issues you discussed here would be fixed by switching to extract.

I should have mentioned I have a few 6 1⁄2 gallon bucket fermenters that I normally use. Much easier obviously.

I should have mentioned I have a few 6 1⁄2 gallon bucket fermenters that I normally use. Much easier obviously.

Still confused here. How does switching from all grain to extract facilitate the use of buckets instead of the Mr. Beer fermenter that seems to be the cause of your stated issues?

I think I'm going to do a few extract w/ specialty grains in the fall and winter.

I have a few 6 1⁄2 gallon bucket fermenters that I normally use

The first eight chapters of How to Brew, 4e is a good resource for brewing inside with DME in the winter: "Stove Top Brewing" - partial boil (half DME / water up front) with late additions (rest at the end).

Advanced extract brewers here at HomebrewTalk have shared a number of refinements on that approach (no need for 60 minute boils, no need to add DME dry over a boiling kettle, use of 'flavor additions' of CaCl or CaS04, ...).

No need for funnels or strainers. And you can put that Mr Beer container back into the home brewery display case.

I do enjoy extract w/grain beer making. I like that it's simple (the understanding didn't come overnight) and there are no curve balls, sliders, change ups, fork balls, screw balls, change ups, knucklers, two-seamers, spitballs, etc.

Back