retinal detachment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronwillen

Reaction score
So i was diagnosed today with a retinal detachment at the ripe old age of 25. I am having surgery on tuesday to correct this. I am fing freaking out as I have never had general anesthesia or any surgery and am scared ****le$$ of this surgery. Anyone have a detached retina or know someone who went through this with good results? I am freaking out that I am going to go blind...

Wow. I TOTALLY mis-read the title and clicked with a LOT of hesitation hoping this was a spoof thread.

I am sorry to hrear about your condition and wish you well but, on the bright side, this is better than what I thought you had.

Has the doc told you which procedure he/she will be using. Looks like most of them are non-invasive but, I know that if you've never had surgery it can be pretty intimidating.

the procedure is sort of invasive....they wrap this buckle around the outside of your eye way in back....and then inject this air bubble evidently....yeah so im freaking the F out...at least i dont have a rectal detachment! that would be ****ty!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but...
A couple years ago my boss had to have this done, it didn't take the first time so he had to go back and have it done again, and it didn't take that time. Luckily the third time worked. He was out of commission for about 6 months.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but...
A couple years ago my boss had to have this done, it didn't take the first time so he had to go back and have it done again, and it didn't take that time. Luckily the third time worked. He was out of commission for about 6 months.

YOU'RE GONNA DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I had it done many years ago....freak tennis ball meets eyeball accident. I would get bright strobe flashes in my peripheral and that's how I knew something was wrong. It actually took a few months after the accident before the flashes started.

I had the surgery done and was terrified when I woke up and couldn't see ANYTHING out of that eye. Come to find out, I had a patch over it. Derr.

There was some eyeball tenderness for a few days after the surgery. My vision afterwards was double the legally blind limit (20/200 I believe)...sorry for unsettling news. This was before contacts were comfortable and/or common ~1985 so I had glasses, one clear lense and one freakin' huge coke bottle over the other eye. Come to find out that the magnification distortion in only one eye was a cause for major headaches. I went for probably 10 years not wearing any corrective glasses because of the headaches. Since that eye can't focus on anything it eventually started to wander. That's when I finally got contacts. That corrected the vision in that eye considerably to somewhere around 20/60 I think.

Last time I was at the doctor I asked if Lasik would help and he told me that it would correct my vision to the same degree as the contact, no more. I may still eventually go for it. I believe that he told me that they had a new method of fixing the retina that doesn't involve a buckle. Maybe you should ask to see...maybe my memory is broke.

I don't know very much about other people's retina surgeries so it is quite likely that most people recover their site better than I did. I hope that is the case for you. I do know that ol' Mike Tyson had the surgery done.

The buckle does change the shape of your eye slightly too.

Just let me know if you have any more questions that I can bring doom and gloom to. j/k On the bright side, the surgery has nothing to do with your taste buds. :p

I had it done many years ago....freak tennis ball meets eyeball accident. I would get bright strobe flashes in my peripheral and that's how I knew something was wrong. It actually took a few months after the accident before the flashes started.

I had the surgery done and was terrified when I woke up and couldn't see ANYTHING out of that eye. Come to find out, I had a patch over it. Derr.

There was some eyeball tenderness for a few days after the surgery. My vision afterwards was double the legally blind limit (20/200 I believe)...sorry for unsettling news. This was before contacts were comfortable and/or common ~1985 so I had glasses, one clear lense and one freakin' huge coke bottle over the other eye. Come to find out that the magnification distortion in only one eye was a cause for major headaches. I went for probably 10 years not wearing any corrective glasses because of the headaches. Since that eye can't focus on anything it eventually started to wander. That's when I finally got contacts. That corrected the vision in that eye considerably to somewhere around 20/60 I think.

Last time I was at the doctor I asked if Lasik would help and he told me that it would correct my vision to the same degree as the contact, no more. I may still eventually go for it. I believe that he told me that they had a new method of fixing the retina that doesn't involve a buckle. Maybe you should ask to see...maybe my memory is broke.

I don't know very much about other people's retina surgeries so it is quite likely that most people recover their site better than I did. I hope that is the case for you. I do know that ol' Mike Tyson had the surgery done.

The buckle does change the shape of your eye slightly too.

Just let me know if you have any more questions that I can bring doom and gloom to. j/k On the bright side, the surgery has nothing to do with your taste buds. :p

man...that is quite the story! Thankfully for me the detachment hasnt entered my central vision yet so I cannot even notice it. They are doing the scleral buckle procedure as I guess it is the best option still. I am mainly worried about the longrun...as someone who was supposed to start med school next fall....like could I even be a dr anymore if i was going to have continued issues with this....i feel my lifes dream slipping away....sorry for the sobs but im just really freaking out and nervous.

My best friend has gone through this twice, once on each eye. He's diabetic, which predisposes him to retinal detachment. While it is very invasive, and has a very awkward recovery stage where you can't sit up for several days, he said it was uncomfortable but not painful.

He had partial detachment in one eye several months after the surgery, but they patched it up using a laser treatment that sort of spot welds the detachment points back on. It's now been about nine years, and he's had no more trouble with his eyes.

Don't sweat it, you'll be alright!

Let me help ya out! My wife was born with floating lenses (not attached inside the eye) and floating pupils plus suffers from glaucoma type pressure issues. Long story short she has had the lenses removed from both eyes and has had retinal re-attachment done to both eyes. Buckles were placed in both but the first one (buckle) has been removed (that's another story too!) and she just needs glasses for reading and drives still too. Her work was done at the University of Iowa Hospitals and they are among the best in the world!! Try to relax and not get too worked up over it, that will help you in the long run. It will be uncomfortable after the surgery and you may have to lay on your tummy for a few weeks so be prepared. Most importantly: DO WHAT YOUR DOCTORS TELL YOU TO DO!! Use the drops and meds as instructed! 20 years ago you would be losing the vision in that eye so be glad to live in this time. I'd tell more but gotta run to work. Good luck!!

man...that is quite the story! Thankfully for me the detachment hasnt entered my central vision yet so I cannot even notice it. They are doing the scleral buckle procedure as I guess it is the best option still. I am mainly worried about the longrun...as someone who was supposed to start med school next fall....like could I even be a dr anymore if i was going to have continued issues with this....i feel my lifes dream slipping away....sorry for the sobs but im just really freaking out and nervous.

Look on the bright side, depending on what state you live in, you might be able to get one of those "fun" prescriptions

I think that even if the worst happens, you could still be a doctor. So long as you're aren't planning on being a neurosurgeon or performing a vasectomy on me, that is. :)

So i was diagnosed today with a retinal detachment at the ripe old age of 25. I am having surgery on tuesday to correct this. I am fing freaking out as I have never had general anesthesia or any surgery and am scared ****le$$ of this surgery. Anyone have a detached retina or know someone who went through this with good results? I am freaking out that I am going to go blind...

F-I-L had this surgery last year. According to him, the procedure is not that bad. The most difficult part is the recovery. He had to keep his head nodded forward for at least a month.
He's fully recovered now and happy that he went through with it. Good luck with your procedure. Be Well.

F-I-L had this surgery last year. According to him, the procedure is not that bad. The most difficult part is the recovery. He had to keep his head nodded forward for at least a month.
He's fully recovered now and happy that he went through with it. Good luck with your procedure. Be Well.

I had a professor who had it done and gave all his lectures while looking at the ground. Took some getting used to I suppose

Well, speaking as someone who had many, many eye surgeries as a child I will say, yeah, it ain't fun, but relax.

That said my condition is quite different. I have was born with amblyopia (lazy eye) so my surgeries were mostly cosmetic to lengthen the muscles so I would at least have some movement. My eye was completely off to the side when I was born. I have always been "legally" blind in one eye, having no better than peripheral vision all around with that eye.

Is it in one eye only or both? If both then yeah recovery will be kinda sucky as you will be "temporarily" blind while you heal. If only one, well, welcome to my world. Forget about depth perception for a while. ;) Don't play any sports involving catching anything.

As to anesthesia, it will hit you quick and you won't know what happened. Unless of course you have a somewhat allergic reaction to it like I do...

Sorry, I am not really very comforting am I?

Seriously though. You got to do it, so do not sweat it. Trust your surgeon. If you do not, interview some and get another opinion until you get one you trust. If you have not had surgery before I can understand how it may seem pretty freaky. You WILL be fine though.

Best.

Well, speaking as someone who had many, many eye surgeries as a child I will say, yeah, it ain't fun, but relax.

That said my condition is quite different. I have was born with amblyopia (lazy eye) so my surgeries were mostly cosmetic to lengthen the muscles so I would at least have some movement. My eye was completely off to the side when I was born.

I got the double whammy...hooray eye surgery. I was born with amblyopia in both of my eyes. I was already a seasoned vet by the time I had the retina surgery. How else is someone going to earn the name Popeye in elementary school? :eek:

Anethesia has never been a problem for me though. Usually by the time I feel myself getting a big grin...it's lights out. However, for some reason I tend to curse a lot when I wake up. I hear that happens to some people.

My parents got me an Etch-a-sketch while I was in the hospital. Oh isn't that fun when your eyes hurt. lol ;)

Man, don'tcha love eyeball bonding?

for everyone who has posted with their stories thank you so much. I feel like I am pretty alone and that this crap happens to nobody....it is only in one eye..but i have this lattice degeneration in the other i which i guess would predispose me to one in that eye too..so they are doing laser surgery on that eye too. any other stories would be appreciated...as for the surgeon...i def trust the surgeon...here in philly we have the wills eye institute which is apparently the best in the country so that is where I am having the surgery. So thanks again and keep the stories coming....

Back