Restarting fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryue

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey ya'll,
So about 33 days ago I pitched yeast in my elderberry mead recipie. This was an attempt to exactly replicate the 1 gallon recipie into a 5 gallon batch.
The first time around I had a SG of 1.146 and a FG of 0.995. The one gallon first attempt I didnt do hardly anything to help it along - no nutrients, no degassing or aerating and I left it in the garage where about halfway through it got so cold it crashed until I brought it back inside.
This time around I had a SG of 1.158 (yes, I know I messed up a honey measurement somewhere..) and was expecting either the same FG or the same ABV (0.995 OR 19.5%ABV). This time I gave it Fermaid K, aerated and degassed every day for the first 2ish weeks and kept it inside at about 70 degrees. But for the last 18 days it has been stuck at 1.044... So its safe to say its stuck, right?
I have read that after about 9%abv that the yeast can no longer absorb DAP, so should I buy Fermaid O and pitch that to restart? Or what would be my best bet at getting things going again...?

Oh, and I used Red Star Premier Blanc yeast.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Edit: also, I tasted it and while it is a bit sweeter and not quite as high of an ABV as I wanted, it is still very good. Would it be a better option to add campden tablets to stabilize and bottle as is..?

Edit: Edit: and what do you think caused it to stop when in theory it should have had a way healthier fermentation than the first time around?

Last edited:
You have reached the alcohol tolerance of your yeast, and they're dead. I'm very surprised that you were able to ferment 1.146 without nutrients, that's experts-only territory. Anything above about 1.120 has the possibility of putting the yeast into osmotic shock. Usually the ferment will either stall or not start at all. If you're looking for a high ABV mead you should start at like 1.100 and add honey incrementally once fermentation is underway. Never start with high gravity or you risk hurting the yeast.

If you want to restart that ferment, check out this procedure on Bray Denard's web site - https://www.denardbrewing.com/blog/post/Sfno/
But even with that you may not get to 20%.

I agree additional Fermaid K / DAP would likely not help at this point. I would suggest the following. - Check the pH and raise it to near 3.5 using Sodium Bicarbonate. Raise the temp a few Deg F (But your already pretty warm), start EC 1118 in a Must with a slightly higher gravity to what you are at now and let the starter go for 24+ hours before pitching. Then rack off the current Lees and pitch the 1118.

I have limited experience with Fermaid O but have read it could help. Would need someone else to weigh in.

Agree with Maylar 1.158 is pretty high but certainly doable and at 1.044 you are at about the spot i would expect to see a lag or a stall. As far as hitting it to stabilize, totally your call if it tastes good then go for it. However that is a lot of residual sugar and IMO much too sweet.

Explanation - pH drops during fermentation a healthy pH is 3.5 to 4.5 and at this spot in the process anything more than 3.5 IMO is not necessary. EC 1118 is a beast and if started will produce Billions of healthy yeast and will likely out compete the Premier. Racking I have found sometimes jump starts things. Not sure why, but it sometimes does.

Back