Restarting a Stuck Fermentation -- Without AE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specharka

Reaction score
I am sure many of you are well aware how frustrating stuck fermentations can be. Outside of the "is my beer ruined" threads they seem to be the #1 cause of distress among homebrewers. I'm no stranger to the feeling. But as they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so I've taken extra efforts to ensure my beers fully attenuate.

Or so I thought. About a month ago, I brewed a Westy XII clone, taking every precaution in the book on it: built a monster 5.5L starter of WY3787, oxygenated well, exercised precise temperature control and ramped up as scheduled. Unfortunately, the yeast had other plans, taking my beer from 1.099 to a somewhat inflated 1.020 SG. Which would be great if it was a barleywine or an Impy, but this was a Westy XII clone, and it shouldn't finish north of 1.013.

I resolved, this time, to not give up the ghost. The beer smelled and tasted lovely, but there was a bit of residual sweetness to it that made it undesirable. Although 9.5% is pretty high, it's nowhere near the alcohol tolerance of the Westmalle yeast strain, so I suspected a classic case of yeast stall. As such, I decided to kick start fermentation in a slightly novel way: dry yeast and yeast nutrient. I picked up a satchet of Belle Saison and some Wyeast nutrient blend, rehydrated and pitched to my stagnant beer.

Within an hour, there were bubbles. Could be residual carbonation, though. The following morning, a small krausen had formed. And about an hour ago, I had to switch to a blowoff hose.

Time will tell, but I dare say I might've unstuck myself. Cheers!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463614347.647923.jpg

Well done! For sure it's a great option and 1 we preach all the time in the store. I like to rock it a for a couple days before I start pitching yeast and nutrient at it myself, but if that doesn't work tossing a good yeast and nutrient at it is a killer way for sure! Don't you just feel like you have just succeeded in fixing a major home brewing issue? I have only had a couple in my years of brewing but always felt relieved when they started again...

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, Jay! I gotta say I'm extremely relieved -- the D-180 alone cost me over $20...this was one I didn't want to give up on. As a matter of fact, I tried several things before I resorted to this last ditch effort: bumped the temperature, rocked the fermenter, etc.

I'm curious why you picked a Saison yeast to rescue your Belgian beer.

Good question. Couple of things, really:
1) Belle Saison has one of the highest ranges for apparent attenuation.
2) I thought the phenolics and esters would be complementary to the Westmalle bouquet.
3) I love saisons.

Back