Restarted fermentation after 4 weeks??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
Ok so I woke up this morning to find air lock activity, about a bubble every 5 seconds, on my pumpkin beer which has been in a carboy for 4 weeks. I have been away for a few days for my wedding, a/c was on, house was around 72. The OG on it was about 1.052, and I used Denny's Fave 50 with a small starter. The only thing I could think is that Wednesday before leaving I moved it to a different spot and that I roused the yeast doing so. Is this just yeast that was stirred up going back to work? Or might I have an infection that is causing the airlock activity? Thanks in advance.

most likely it's just co2 that was dissolved in solution coming out due to a temperature change, or to moving the carboy.

Does it smell any different? Is there any weird stuff on the surface of the beer?

Ok I was all set with the answers I got, now I take a peak today as I was hoping to bottle Friday and I have a very thin layer of krausen. Decided to take a hydrometer reading and looks like we are on our way back down again. Seems odd to me but what the heck, still tastes like pumpkin pie.

Ok I was all set with the answers I got, now I take a peak today as I was hoping to bottle Friday and I have a very thin layer of krausen. Decided to take a hydrometer reading and looks like we are on our way back down again. Seems odd to me but what the heck, still tastes like pumpkin pie.

Just out of curiosity, what was your FG, and what is it now that it has dropped again?

I forget exactly as I didn't write it down by it was somewhere in the neighborhood and 1.012 and now its down to about 1.004. I am hoping it drops soon so I can bottle on Friday.

Back