Restarted fermentation after 24 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
So I have this rebel rye porter from northern brewer that I brewed on May 25th. Been in there for 24 days now and no airlock activity in a long time. Did not take an OG reading when I brewed it. Carried it into another room last night and woke up to it fermenting fairly consistently this morning. What the heck? I intend to Move it to secondary tonight along with a full 16oz of rye whiskey and some oak chips. Will the whiskey kill the yeast? Should I wait to secondary? Did the carrying it to a new room re-suspend the yeast and make them eat more? I don't think it got too cold. Probably 62°-66° the whole first 2 weeks.

The room you moved it to is probably warmer so it is causing the air in the vessel to expand and additional co2 to come out of solution. Also, the agitation from being moved probably knocked some co2 out of suspension as well.

Thanks guys I think I'm gonna go ahead and transfer to secondary with the whiskey tonight

Back