Respond Quick - My Beer Depends On It!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

Reaction score
I'm on batch two (making a nice dark ale w/ roasted grain), and I just realized accidentally destroyed my fermentation lock (it fell into the in-sink-grinder) when I made my first batch (after completion). I've just finished with the wort! I gotta pitch the yeast tonight, and no airlock! The LHBS is closed (open tomorrow afternoon)! What do you suggest? Can I rig one up with some supplies from the hardware store or something? Help!

Just attach a blowoff hose and put the other end in a jug of water. I've improvised with a piece of racking cane and my length of racking hose.

Carboy or Ale Pail?
You could rig an improvised blowoff tube.
Anything left of the airlock?
Do you have enough tubing to run a hose from the top of the fermenter to a container of water/sanitizer?

Blowoff tube - Home Brewing Wiki

Carboy or Ale Pail?

Ale Pail.

Anything left of the airlock?
Nothing. All gone.

I have 6 feet of standard siphon tubing. I popped out the rubber O-ring or whatever you want to call it out of the top of the lid and now I can thread the tubing through the top of the ail pail lid. What do I run that tube off to and should I cut the tubing (it's 6 ft)?

Does that tubing fit tightly where the grommet was? if it doesn't you need to improvise something so that it will. Maybe you can use tape? Run the tubing off to a container (like maybe an empty 2 liter bottle) with water (or Star San solution) and put the end below the liquid level in that container.

Ale Pail.

Nothing. All gone.

I have 6 feet of standard siphon tubing. I popped out the rubber O-ring or whatever you want to call it out of the top of the lid and now I can thread the tubing through the top of the ail pail lid. What do I run that tube off to and should I cut the tubing (it's 6 ft)?

Personally, I would cut the tubing to a more manageable length. Just ensure that you have a nice tight fit in your lid (where the tube goes in) and the other end stays submerged. I basically designated one of my empty water bottles as my blow off jug.
-Me

Yeah, I forgot that part of the question... I don't think length is going to matter... and JoeMama, that water jug is a good idea!

Back