residue from starsan..anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ρ®ïMσ

Reaction score
i was getting all my racking and bottling equipment together when i realized the hose had been sitting in starsan since i last racked (5 weeks ago). the hose feels as if it has a greasy residue on it. has anyone experienced this? suggestions?

Good timing. I did a brew on Friday and had all of my stuff soaking in star san for 4 days. It was slimy. This cant come from the star san so I think their is come plasticizer coming out of my sanitation bin.

I just re cleaned and sanitized.

i store my starsan solution in a 5g orange home depot homer bucket--which i thought was food grade plastic and therefore would be safe for prolonged storage of solution.

ρ®ïMσ said:
i store my starsan solution in a 5g orange home depot homer bucket--which i thought was food grade plastic and therefore would be safe for prolonged storage of solution.

The creator of Star SaN was on the Brewery Network a few weeks ago and addressed this question. It is just the star san coming out of solution, just agitate the mixture before pulling your equipment out. He said it was not harmful.

Linc

missing link said:
The creator of Star SaN was on the Brewery Network a few weeks ago and addressed this question. It is just the star san coming out of solution, just agitate the mixture before pulling your equipment out. He said it was not harmful.

Linc

ty. that answered my question. thanks for the quick reply. i was sitting here on my computer waiting for a response before i decided whether to bottle 10g of beer or drive to home depot to get more tubing. PROST!

Dr Vorlauf said:
I did a brew on Friday and had all of my stuff soaking in star san for 4 days. It was slimy. This cant come from the star san so I think their is come plasticizer coming out of my sanitation bin.
Actually, it is from the Star San. It is the detergent coming out of solution as it binds to the plastic. It's not plasticizer.

Just rinse it off and you are golden.

FlyGuy said:
Actually, it is from the Star San. It is the detergent coming out of solution as it binds to the plastic. It's not plasticizer.

Thats reassuring. I've done that a couple times :)

FlyGuy said:

Good to know for sure, Still a strange phenomena considering Star Sans formula, but easily corrected.

Dr Vorlauf said:
Good to know for sure, Still a strange phenomena considering Star Sans formula, but easily corrected.

not really. if you like to geek out on brewing, I highly recommend listening to the entire broadcast with star san's inventor.

he explains everything, including why plastic has the proper charge/polarity to attract the detergent in star san.

soaking it in warm water will help the slick detergent rinse off too.

here's the link to that broadcast. its informative and amusing because they get a little sauced on the homebrew.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/search.php?story=star+san&dosearch=yes

Back