Residual sugar % in my blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardtarget

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on entering a bottle of last year's blueberry wine in a state fair and they ask for the residual sugar %. I've read about it but I have no idea how to calculate it. I used 4 lb of sugar to backsweeten at the end as the recipe calls for, but there may be more residual? This is a 6 gallon batch. Any help appreciated!

Here's the recipe I used with only minor modifications to the additives.

18 lbs of blueberries (3 lbs per gallon)
1 tsp grape tannins
1 T yeast nutrient
1 T acid blend
1 T pectic enzyme
Sugar (about 10 lbs)
Champagne yeast

The berries should be frozen before use. It breaks the cell walls down allowing the juice to come out. Thaw the berries. I use a ziplock freezer bag to store them, so I can simply crush them in the bag. I store 3 lbs in a ziplock, so each bag is good for 1 gallon.
Put the crushed berries in a nylon bag in your fermenter. Add water to make it about 3 gallons, add the pectic enzyme, and about 50 ml of 2.5% solution of potasium sulfite. Let the juice sit for a couple of days stirring several times each day.
Boil the sugar and water together, use 5-10 cups per 5 lb bag of sugar. Let it cool and add to the juice. Use a hydrometer and get a reading, we are aiming for something in the 1.075 to 1.090 range, depending upon how much alcohol you want in your wine. More is not always better. Add the grape tannins, yeast nutrient, acid blend, stirring the mix well. If the specific gravity is too low, add more sugar with less water. You want to bring the whole mixture up to about 6 gallons and maintain the desired specific gravity.
Add the yeast to the top of the mix. After several hours, stir the yeast into the juice. The yeast needs oxygen, so stirring is not a bad thing.
The yeast usually takes about 24 hours to really get going. Put in an air lock and keep an eye on it to make sure it is not getting clogged with foam. If it is, clean it out and even remove it while the wine is doing the serious fermentation.
Take readings with your hydrometer daily. When it gets down to about 0.990, your wine is mostly fermented. Time to transfer it to a glass carboy.
Carefully siphon the juice leaving the heavy junk behind. Squeeze out the mesh bag, get as much juice as you can out of it. This will take some time, but it is worth it. You may be able to squeeze out a couple of pints from the fiber.
Once it is in the carboy, top it up with water or sugar water. Let it sit in the carboy for at least a month. Make sure the air lock has liquid in it, I like to use sulfite solution, that way I don’t get any bacteria growth in the airlock.
After a month or more (3 or4 months is fine) carefully siphon to a bottling bucket. Take samples and add sugar to taste. I generally use about 4 lbs of sugar boiled into 4 cups of water for the whole batch. Don’t forget to use Potassium Sorbate to stop the added sugar from fermenting.
Bottle and let it rest for a couple weeks before drinking.

You need a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity, which will tell you the amount of sugar in solution. But assuming your wine fermented dry and you backsweetened with 4lbs of sugar for 6 gallons, your SG will probably be between 1.020 and 1.030. Don't know how to convert that to %.

You have 2 unknowns and only 1 equation, tsk, tsk.
A saccharometer will read sugar conc., but don't know if alcohol will interfere.
I was in the same fix, tho I don't compete. I would take a "sufficiently-sized" sample out, let all alcohol evaporate at low heat, or a very warm day(NC), then make it up to a volume large enough for hydrometer reading. Actually, take a large-enuf sample so that you do NOT have to dilute it. Then, merely take the SG, which will be free of alcohol's influence. Be careful, and I think you'll get a dependable reading. Be sure to watch the temp. Good luck.

Come to think of it, you may lose some water, as well.
Maybe taking successive SG readings???
Hmmmm....one to work on.

Yea, so I don't own any fancy equipment. This really isn't a big deal and I don't think not knowing the exact number will disqualify me or anything.

I'm only sending in one bottle for the amateur fruit winemaking competition.

It was fermented dry and then 4 lbs of sugar added to the 6 gallons of dry wine. Any relative guesses?

this article might be of some use.

http://www.winemakermag.com/stories...iques/501-measuring-residual-sugar-techniques

to sum up, % residual sugar is the g/L of sugar in the solution(wine). where 1g/L =.1% It turns out that 1 Brix is about 1% sugar (depends on if they are after w/w or w/v).... Anyhow, a dry wine has around .2 to .3 (per article) This will be over powered by the 4lb of sugar which should give you a 1.030 gravity. or about 8% by my math (check your hydrometer, the measure of brix with sg should be there.).

So I'm guessing about 8%.

Back