Research for a Double Black IPA / Yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab4uk74

Reaction score
I am new to brewing. (My second batch is in the primary). I would like to try to brew a Double Black IPA along the lines of Odell's Mountain Standard. I know enough about brewing to know there is a lot I don't know know so I like to do my research and have everything in order in my head before I even order the kit. First question:

Can somebody tell me details about yeast starters?

If you know the OG of your recipe then that will tell you how big of a yeast starter you need. It's important to pitch the right amount of healthy yeast so definitely research making yeast starters and ask any questions here if you're still in doubt.

How do you determine that the beer you are going to brew needs a yeast starter rather than just pitching dry yeast into the fermenter?

How do you determine that the beer you are going to brew needs a yeast starter rather than just pitching dry yeast into the fermenter?

I use a 1L starter for every batch, regardless of how low the OG is. If it's higher than 1.065 I tend to use a 2L starter. I haven't had any issues yet, and usually get a vigorous healthy fermentation.

Here is a step by step guide on making a starter: Yeast Starters - Home Brewing Wiki

You mentioned dry yeast in your earlier post. Note that starters aren't really advisable with dry yeast (it discusses this briefly in the wiki article). If you're brewing something really high in alcohol then people just pitch 2 packets of it. The yeast packaging will usually tell you how many cells are in it and also what original gravity it can handle.

Back