Reputable Source for SSRs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpalarchio

Reaction score
Seems like I've seen more failed SSR threads recently and I've read other threads about clear knockoffs purchased from China via eBay.

That being the case, where is a reputable place to purchase SSRs?

Obviously many sponsors on the site sell them but are they just buying in bulk from the same vendors and eBay and then marking them up to account for the long shipping delay you would normally see?

Am I best just going with a electronics supplier like Mouser?

Auber has a long history of reliable supply of PID and SSRs, both to homebrewers and to espresso machine modders. But I don't see any reason to doubt the other suppliers - beware the "me too" effect of people posting problems.

Auber has a long history of reliable supply of PID and SSRs, both to homebrewers and to espresso machine modders. But I don't see any reason to doubt the other suppliers - beware the "me too" effect of people posting problems.

I also back Auber Instruments 100%. They are an excellent supplier.

P-J

dyqik said:
But I don't see any reason to doubt the other suppliers - beware the "me too" effect of people posting problems.

Agreed. Maybe I should be more trusting and normally I wouldn't necessarily care but I don't want to risk a fire or electrocution because I tried to save $20 for a hobby I've probably spent thousands on.

Thanks for the tip on Auber. I've always heard the name but never really dug into what they sold.

I had an issue with 2/4 of my 25A SSRs (Amico brand) from Amazon failing. I sent those back and picked up the ones from eBrewSupply.com. Hoping those aren't from the same manufacturer because the housings look the same. They'll be here Thursday.

Opto22 ... Use em at work for 24/7 medical systems and I use them in my panel and and controllers. Never had any issues, still have never even had to replace one at work.

Never had any problem with 40A Fotek's. Get them from wherever is cheapest.

SSRs are not the sort of component I would pay top dollar for.

alien said:
Never had any problem with 40A Fotek's. Get them from wherever is cheapest.

SSRs are not the sort of component I would pay top dollar for.

Those are actually the brand that I've read are commonly counterfeited on eBay. I'm not looking to pay top dollar for anything but I also don't want something that's going to potentially cause a fire either.

Aside from my brewing setup, I was buying some for my BrewPi that controls fermentation so those will be running unattended for weeks at a time.

I ended up ordering through Auber and while a couple bucks more per SSR, it was worth it to ease some of my concern.

Thanks all for the recommendations...

Auber SSRs do not have superior specs. I know a pro panel builder who uses 40A Foteks and considers them superior to Omron.

Auber SSRs do not have superior specs. I know a pro panel builder who uses 40A Foteks and considers them superior to Omron.

That could be but my question was really around reputable sellers, not failure rates among SSR brands.

Do a search for counterfeit SSRs and check out the results, they spread across a variety of areas (homebrewing, distilling, biodiesel, powdercoaters).

Fotek happens to be one of the most common brands out on eBay with the majority of them coming from China. I've bought my share of electronics from China off eBay and sometimes stuff is clearly counterfeit and sometimes it's just fine even if it is faked.

So my concern about buying something that is commonly counterfeited is how can I tell who is selling a real Fotek? Even if it's a US seller, nothing stops me from buying 200 of them off eBay, waiting 6 weeks for them to arrive and then reselling them at 50% markup on Amazon as a US seller.

So no knock on Fotek or any other brand, my question was really just around who can I buy from that isn't selling some knockoff. I guess the skeptic in me tends to think that the "cheapest" SSR quite possibly has a higher probability of being counterfeit.

I can accept failures within a particular MTBF, what I don't want is something that is clearly fake and likely put together with minimal concern around quality and safety.

What about YANGJI or MAGER? These are what I'm running and both are Chinese brands advertised as Chinese parts.

heckels said:
I had an issue with 2/4 of my 25A SSRs (Amico brand) from Amazon failing. I sent those back and picked up the ones from eBrewSupply.com. Hoping those aren't from the same manufacturer because the housings look the same. They'll be here Thursday.

Just to follow up. I received my new SSRs from eBrewSupply yesterday. My concerns around the quality were quickly negated.

The SSRs from eBrewSupply are built much better and appear to use better materials in the casing than the cheap Amico ones I had off amazon.

Wired them up last night and did a test run. They performed flawlessly.

My vote goes to Crydom SSRS (I have them). Buy them on Digikey.com. I bought mine used off ebay (duals, actually). After 4 years of some pretty heavy use they have never faltered and proved to be a great deal.

Heat is what will kill them early. So, don't skip on the heat sink. Look for the best heat conduction. A heat sink of good caliber will be rated in units as ºC/W, where lower numbers are better.

Click pic for link to Digikey. This is the heat sink I use. It has mounting holes for two SSRs.

I read in another thread that using good lugs and proper crimping or soldering the wires helps to prevent SSR failure. The heat generated in bad terminal connections can cause thermal failure in the SSRs.

Now that won't fix crappily made SSRs.

Fair point OP. In terms of Fotek sellers I would trust, I have had a good experience with Amico/Uxcell who replaced an item damaged in the mail with very little hassle. If you want a US based seller you have to pay a little more: Lightobject have been around long enough to have acquired a reputation, and I have heard nothing bad.

FWIW I think the fake Fotek thing is hard to believe. SSRs are cheap and Fotek is not a premium brand. If I was selling dud electric components I would fake a high value brand. I'm not convinced that disgruntled person on ebay really knows what he is talking about.

However I would be interested to see a proper comparison of the different makes of SSR. I challenge anyone with a name brand 40A SSR to open it up and show me the insides. I will crack open a Fotek and we can compare.

I will concede one thing. Fotek's do not come a clear plastic cover which some other makes have. They are useful to help insulate the high and low voltage sides especially in cramped builds.

I wonder how many SSR faulures are really the user's fault and he does not know it's his fault?

A SSR dissipates about 1 watt of heat per amp which means that a SSR controlling a 5500 Watt element produces about 22 watts of heat.

Latest posts

Back