Replacing Wyeast 3068 with Bavarian M20 for a Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunal Vanjare

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking at making a 1G Hefe for the first time. The recipe calls for Pils & Wheat malt bill with Hellertauer Hersbrucker hops at 60 & 15 minutes. The problem I am facing is unavailability of Wyeast 3068 around here in India.

We have WB-06 and M20 yeasts available. I have done some research and a lot of people prefer M20 over WB-06. So I was wondering if I can use M20 instead of 3068 and still make a good Hefe? I want a balanced Clove & Banana flavor in the beer.

Other points to note as per the recipe are a 90 minute mash with 7 minute mashout, followed by a 90 minute boil. Any other tips/suggestions/modifications you'll can suggest?

Another vote for M20. Used it for the first time late last year and was impressed how close it was for a dry yeast to 3068. Side by side may be a different story. I have a reserve of M20 and a starter going of it for a brew this weekend.

Back