Replacing vertical lines not required.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlaramie08

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been covered before but I wanted to tell everyone how I have my hops set up and maybe save some work for some people. When planning my hop trellis I wanted to have a system that would make hand picking easy and safe. To be safe, I would need to keep both feet on the ground. To be easy, I would need to be able to replace the vertical lines as little as possible. So on my overhead line I attached carabiners and I string 1/4 or 3/16 inch nylon rope, one end going to a tent stake and the other end tied off to another line parallel about chest height. This allows me to lower the end that has the bines growing on it so it makes it easier to harvest on the ground, safely. It's been 3 years and I haven't replaced any of the nylon ropes. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1424965659.863115.jpg

Hopefully the picture helps explain this better.

Interesting design for small production ! Did you had to lower the rope during growing time ? (for example to check for pest / disease / cones ripeness)

If so, how did the bine react ? Did it lost grip to the rope ?

It didn't lose grip at all and you can lower it completely to the ground if needed to check for disease and pests or trim dead parts as long as you don't lose grip of the loose end and let the rope fall completely through the carabiner. The bines are very resilient as long as you don't bind them up. The nylon allows for a great grip on the bines.

I wanted to make sure it worked before I shared and I have 3 years of evidence. I hope it makes things easier for some.

Latest posts

Back