Replacing faucets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny2fresh

Reaction score
I have new intertap faucets I want to install however I just tapped two kegs. Can I remove and replace the faucets after I disconnect the liquid line from the keg or will beer go everywhere?

Remove liquid line from keg, open faucet, loosen the screw on the back of the disconnect enough so air can enter the line, and hold it up in the air higher than the faucet so beer can drain from the line out of the faucet. Then replace. Don't forget to tighten that disconnect back up before reconnecting to the keg.

I don't see any need to empty the line.
After removing the keg disconnect, just open the (old) faucet to drain off any pressurized beer from the line. Then swap out the faucets. You'll get a little beer dribble, but nothing a towel or rag can't catch.

Also, watch out when you pull the liquid disconnect on a full keg. If the poppet sticks and stays open, you'll get a face full of beer. It's quite a scene (I've been through this a couple of times, with a sticky ceiling as evidence).

I usually turn the gas off, then release pressure on the PRV, before I remove the beer line.

Back