Replace C02 tubing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a while, and yesterday I cleaned up my brewery to get ready for a long overdue brew day. Needless to say, time is not good to unused equipment. I forgot I turned off my kegerator in all the Covid brewhaha (pun intended) - long story short; my C02 lines have been siting in stagnant moldy water for at least 3-4months. After some cleaning I noticed yellowish internal staining that doesn't go away - should I replace the whole lot?

The tubing is clean, just stained (so I think) - any thoughts?

Attachments

• 126276DB-B0D2-471E-B580-2C6F92E3021A_1_201_a.jpeg
    126276DB-B0D2-471E-B580-2C6F92E3021A_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Went down to the local brewshop and oddly enough they were out of tubing - they cited Covid for delay in stock, which makes sense

I have a bunch of welding hose that is marked as being able to hold 300 PSI - any body know if I can use this in a pinch? I'm fairly sure i can as C02 is used in welding

I also have some LPG gas line (extra from my gas burner), and some extra hose from a water power sprayer . I did a little research and it seems all these hoses are multi purpose - I'm not using them for liquid - just the C02 (not sure that makes a difference)

Any thoughts on any of this? The store wasn't to sure when they would get tubing back - I'll browse Amazon for now, however, I would prefer not to spend extra if not needed - especially If i already have it

Thanks

Attachments

• 5E45E521-C251-49BA-94F4-416AEC20598B_1_201_a.jpeg
    5E45E521-C251-49BA-94F4-416AEC20598B_1_201_a.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
Beverage tubing is odorless. I'm not sure about the other types of tubing.

I'm not using it for liquid - only C02 to replace my gas lines - I wreckin i'm ok; just my gut telling me
I'l do more research, but if anybody knows that would be helpful

"Odor" by definition is gas. If you push it in the keg it might contaminate your beer even if there is no direct contact with the tubing.

What about polyurethane tubing? I found a box stashed away - not even sure why i have it, but i do

It has all the right details - you reckon I can use this for C02 and liquid lines?

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 14
What about polyurethane tubing?

use the chance to replace it with EVAbarrier tubing
I would like to reiterate this ^

I had never guessed vinyl (beverage) lines being O2 permeable. Once you learn something like that you shouldn't ignore it.
EVA Barrier line using push-fit adapters IS the way to do it, properly, once and for all.

When changing over, review which parts and adapters you'd need to convert your system. You don't want to incur additional shipping charges due to forgetting to order a few (small) parts.

While you're at it, you may want to replace your beverage lines too, with the same.

Here's a link to a chart that shows the properties, including O2 permeability, of different types of tubing.

https://www.coleparmer.com/tech-article/tubing-selection-guide
Vinyl/PVC... Ouch!!!
Makes me wonder why beer still tastes rather good using Bevlex 200. :bott:
A few years ago we were at a local World of Beer, and I got a private tour. They have BevLex 200 running from the kegs, along the ceiling of their cold room, to the taps. 50-60' runs, easily.

I would like to reiterate this ^

I had never guessed vinyl (beverage) lines being O2 permeable. Once you learn something like that you shouldn't ignore it.
EVA Barrier line using push-fit adapters IS the way to do it, properly, once and for all.

When changing over, review which parts and adapters you'd need to convert your system. You don't want to incur additional shipping charges due to forgetting to order a few (small) parts.

While you're at it, you may want to replace your beverage lines too, with the same.

Yea - I get it, and i'm looking into it
I have a bunch of tubing laying around, and if usable i'd rather use it in the short term while i invest in something better for the longer term .

Last edited:
FWIW, I use this stuff for my gas lines:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QPZKL89
It comes in different colors, which helps me tell what pressure I'm dealing with without tracing the lines (my cylinder and regulators are outside the keezer). It fits the 3/8" OD John Guest fittings that I use on my BevSeal Ultra.

Yes!
This is the exact same stuff i have!! - Except from a different company and mine is yellow...if you check the specs on your link, and on my pic they are identical.

You ever use this for liquid line? I figure if its meant for water, that beer is doable

you ever notice any problems?

Vinyl/PVC... Ouch!!!
Makes me wonder why beer still tastes rather good using Bevlex 200. :bott:
A few years ago we were at a local World of Beer, and I got a private tour. They have BevLex 200 running from the kegs, along the ceiling of their cold room, to the taps. 50-60' runs, easily.

If' i'm reading the chart correctly, Polyurethane outperforms or is equal to all the standard tubing people use, like vinyl and pvc - makes me want to use my polyurethane tubing. The C02 permeability is 395, which is better than or on par with the pvc/vinyl (again - if i'm reading that correct)

any stats on liquid use?

You ever use this for liquid line? I figure if its meant for water, that beer is doable

No, I use BevSeal Ultra 235 barrier tubing for beer. I wouldn’t use anything that’s not NSF food rated for beer. The reason I don’t use the BevSeal for gas is that it’s not flexible and it’s enough of a PITA for the liquid. The EVA barrier tubing @IslandLizard reccomended is more flexible, but has similar properties to BevSeal.

No, I use BevSeal Ultra 235 barrier tubing for beer. I wouldn’t use anything that’s not NSF food rated for beer. The reason I don’t use the BevSeal for gas is that it’s not flexible and it’s enough of a PITA for the liquid. The EVA barrier tubing @IslandLizard reccomended is more flexible, but has similar properties to BevSeal.

Got it - makes sense
So the polyurethane is not food safe then? or beer rated?

It depends on the tubing. Polyurethane is not inherently bad (lots of drinking water hose is made from it) but I’d want to see the NSF stamp on any tubing that touched beer. For CO2, I’m less worried.

It depends on the tubing. Polyurethane is not inherently bad (lots of drinking water hose is made from it) but I’d want to see the NSF stamp on any tubing that touched beer. For CO2, I’m less worried.

Right - i'll do a little nit more research on the tubing - looks like i can use it for C02 though

Thanks

Evabarrier is cheap and extremely effective. I cant believe the conversation is persistent. Use 5.5 ft of the 4mm id for liquid and whatever length you need for gas. Imperceptible o2 ingress for months if necessary. Foam free pours. Yes, this stuff is good and cheap.

Latest posts

Back