Repitching Yeast on Stalled Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travjohn92

Reaction score
I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible.

Been out of the homebrewing scene for about 8 years and just recently got back into. The first batch I attempted (since being back) was an Imperial Porter, but not knowing I was making an Imperial Porter. I basically took the majority of any "older" ingredients I had and was going to make a batch. Not doing any research on high gravity beers and the types of yeast I should use I pitched a dry yeast at 70 degrees and with an OG of 1.090. Needless to say everything stalled out at 1.042 and never got it going again after another 30-45 days. I went ahead and primed it, bottled a six pack, and kegged the rest.

It has now been aging for for 3 months and I periodically (about once a month) taste a bottle just to see if there is any improvement. There isn't. I am just about to the point of dumping the keg because it sucks so bad and doesn't even remotely have a beer taste (way to sweet)

...Finally, here is my question. Can I take what is primed and kegged, put it back into a fermentation vessel and add a more powerful liquid yeast strain to try and eat up some of the sugars?

I'm sure this may result in some "off" flavors, but if it makes it tolerable and drinkable, it would be better than dumping it.

Any assistance would be wonderful. My feelings will not be hurt if you tell me to dump it because there is no hope.

Yes you can repitch but first add a few teaspoons of amylase and let that sit for a day then repitch and see what happens.

Hell, if anything you'll end up with something most likely better than what you have now. The amylase will break down some of the remaining larger unfermentable sugars into smaller, more fermentable units. The new yeast will hopefully be able to convert these new smaller units into ethanol and make your beer more drinkable. Worth a shot IMO.

Yep, my LHBS sells it so imagine yours should as well. If not, you can use beano but that's a different enzyme and will reduce it down to water so you should use beano sparingly if you plan to use it.

I'd research the beano before you go and use that stuff, a lot of people say they regret using the beano. It's probably an option you better keep as a last resort.

I second the alpha amylase suggestion. I would say you definitely want to pitch it with a proper stater. You'll have a better chance if you pitch at full krausen.

Your OG was high, you would have needed good aeration and a high pitch rate, a lot of yeast cells would be a good idea now as well.

One idea is that maybe you could make another batch and pitch this batch in during its active fermentation! I think that would be killer! But come to think of it you might just end up with two lousy batches worth of crummy homebrew.

No reason to rush things, take your time and consider your options. IF you want to try a repitch i have had good luck with Nottingham yeast. It's fast, efficient and for less than 2 bucks a pack its a bargain too!

Good luck!

I've gotten away with 3 or 4 beano tablets. I didn't even crush them to reduce their efficacy and they still took my beer down to 1.008 or so. Be very careful with the beano and definitely use the tablets instead of the powder. That beer turned out very good and actually won a gold medal, despite the beano so it does work but it's not your first choice IMO.

Back