Repitching on yeast cake with dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBA

Reaction score
Brewed in a keg with floating dip tube. Added small dry hop charge while flowing CO2. It is cold crashing now. Plan to transfer to a purged serving keg. Question is if I can just put new wort on top of this yeast and dry hop cake? Current batch was a pale ale and the new batch will be an IPA.

Absolutely!

Yeast usually quadruples (or even more) during fermentation, so you may have quite a bit more yeast on the bottom than you'd need. You may lose some yeast expression due that, but usually it's not an issue in an IPA, they're more about the hops.

If you want, you could remove (and even save out) half to 3/4 of that yeast cake before racking your new batch on top of it.

I doubt there is much "hoppyness" left in that yeast cake to worry about if you were going to do a non-hoppy beer.

I would try to scoop out as much of the dry hops as you can. You don't need more than about a cup of yeast for a five gallon batch so you can clean most of that out and avoid unwanted tannins from the leftover dry hops and other unintended effects.

Can I assume that as long as the yeast remains sealed in my carboy and isn’t exposed to O2 that I can just stop dumping it and don’t need to clean and or buy new yeast? What about letting it sit up to a month at room temp?
In a fermzilla all rounder.

Can I assume that as long as the yeast remains sealed in my carboy and isn’t exposed to O2 that I can just stop dumping it and don’t need to clean and or buy new yeast? What about letting it sit up to a month at room temp?
In a fermzilla all rounder.
I think you will have very stinky yeast in short order.

Once you rack the beer off the yeast cake, you will want to....

1. almost immediately dump fresh wort on it and get it going again...that same day. preferably have chilled wort ready to dump before you rack the beer.

2. move fermenter to cold storage (refrigerator, not some basement) immediately if you will brew again in a few days.

or

3. pour yeast cake into clean mason jars for long term refrigeration if not brewing again for several days/weeks/months.

Back