Repitching dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey all i recently brewed a brown ale that may be stuck and was just wondering can repitch a pkg of nottingham after 2 wks in the fermenter? I originally used windsor but it was done in 2 days on a beer with a 1.070 OG so im thinking it may not have done its job??? Will there still be enough oxygen in the wort to supply the nottingham and is mixing windsor and a nottingham ok?
'
I may not have to add more yeast if the gravity is ok, i'm just thinking ahead..lol

thanks.

Jamie.

What are your fermentation temps? Do you have your fermenter sitting on a cold cellar floor? If so, try moving it to someplace a bit warmer and see if fermentation picks up again.

I've had some beers ferment for a couple days and others for a couple of weeks. A stable gravity over time in the expected final gravity range is the only way to be sure. Take a gravity reading, record it, then take another a few days later.

I doubt you'll have to pitch more yeast. If I did have to pitch more (something I've NEVER had to do), I'd pitch the same variety of yeast. I don't have any basis for saying this, other than I'd just want one yeast flavor profile in my beer.

It also depends on the alcohol tolerance of the yeast used. But swirling up some yeast off the bottom & warming the fermenter can take a day to get going again in my experience.

What's the gravity now? Maybe it's done, not stuck.

You are right to be concerned about the environment you would be pitching into. It is no longer wort, but beer. The oxygen is gone, most if not all of the available sugars are gone, and toxins (alcohol!) are present.

If you really feel the need to do something, take a gravity reading now, and another in several days (2 or 3 days is the usual advice, but since it sounds like you are less than a week into the process, I'd give it another week at least). Only then will you know if you are done, stuck, or still fermenting.

Cheers,

Don't have a gravity yet I was going to wait a week first.

It just started so quickly (about 12hrs after) and stopped just shy of 48hrs after a vigorous fermentation with a 3 inch krausen,then it all stopped dead and the krausen fell.Not a bubble in the airlock after.Its a moose drool clone:

11 lbs pale
1.25 Lb crystal 80
5.5 oz chocolate malt
0.5 oz black malt

windsor yeast.

What you witnessed the 2nd day was the end of initial fermentation. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep own to a stable FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.

Man this Windsor yeast is fast💥
I'll let you know how it turns out!

Jamie.

Windsor is a low attenuating yeast, so it will finish higher (and be sweeter/fruitier) than something like Notty which will finish low. Windsor also ferments fast, like S04 so it's not unusual that it'd be done in 48hrs.

You're probably done, what the reading?

If you pitch Notty now, it'll take a while to kick off as most of the simple sugars are gone, with only the complex sugars remaining - so you'll need a full packet plus if you want to try and kick it off again (if it decides to do so).

I say measure and sample, see if it's what you want. Then decide if a repitch is necessary or worth the effort.

Back