repitch idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inkguy

Reaction score
I will be brewing three beers with the same yeast - a bitter, a 70/- and a mocha porter. The yeast I chose is WLP028 because I like its profile and I think it'll do well with all three (my second choice was 1968).
I will brew them in the order listed, going both light to dark and weak to strong. So I am wondering, would it be better to siphon the 70/- straight onto the yeast cake from the bitter, then wash and repitch that for the porter? Or, would a modification of the yeast washing sticky - collect the yeast from the bitter and split it into two jars, then use one for each subsequent batch - be better?
The first idea seems simpler, but the second would keep the yeast at only two generations. I have done only a single repitch so I know second gen is OK, but I'm not sure about the third. I hear of guys pitching the same vial/pack 12+ times, but I also hear that twice is the limit.
Thoughts?

I would wash and measure the yeast, that's the only way you'll have any idea how much you pitched. Yeast isn't likely to have issues in 2 generations if you sanitize well, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. I know some who repitch many more times than that without issues.

Back