Renting and Growing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msu09

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm currently renting a house that we will be moving out of this winter. I have six crowns coming in from Great Lakes Hops this week and I was wondering what you guys suggest we plant them in. I'll be putting up two 10 foot teepees for them to grow up (I can't put anything bigger in here). I've considered a) putting them in the ground and digging them up in the winter b) putting them in 5 gallon lowes buckets or c) using grow bags (like the ones found here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JVHFO0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
B seems convenient. I know that a lot of peopel use 5 gallon buckets in situations where they might have to move... uh... other, somewhat similar plants. Grow bags will work, but buckets provide an "exoskeleton" for the root system in transit. That being said, I would look for containers that allow for more lateral root growth than a standard 5 gall. bucket. Maybe something like a big tote bin?

I use grow bags. The problem is when it starts to get warm the plastic provides zero insulation so the soil (and roots) gets hot and dries out quickly. When they dry out they will tear open when you try to move them. I assume buckets will produce the same problems with drying out, although they won't tear open.

Once I have the time this spring I am going to build a large box around the bags and fill it with mulch to give it a raised bed appearance and help insulate the bags. If you can't sink the bags or buckets -- whichever you end up using -- consider a thicker or large container to help keep moisture and cool roots.

Tote's seem to be a bit on the expensive side (wedding coming up) and I see the problem with the lateral growth in the 5 gallon. Would it be too hard on the plant/me to dig them up in the fall/spring?

$7 at Lowes. 20 Gallon totes with handles. I have several. I'm planning on putting rhizomes in till next year.

How's you're woodworking? You could go with something like this.

ForumRunner_20120326_183740.jpg

ForumRunner_20120326_183901.jpg

Tote's seem to be a bit on the expensive side (wedding coming up) and I see the problem with the lateral growth in the 5 gallon. Would it be too hard on the plant/me to dig them up in the fall/spring?

Put it in the ground, and if you have to dig up the crown this winter, then dig up the crown. There's no better time to dig up the crown than in the winter.

I am in a similar situation except I have no choice to grow them in pots on my roof. I think I will be going with 20gal pots from the local nursery ($10 each) but am unsure how what type of soil to fill them with. The guy at the nursery wants me to buy great organic stuff that is about $20-40 for 3 cu feet and I just can't afford that.

I have no intention of thread hijacking but what were you planning on filling your pots with?

I have no intention of thread hijacking but what were you planning on filling your pots with?
mix of:
- garden soil
- peat moss
- manure
- sand
- native soil (i.e. the clay that surrounds where they're planted, and where the roots will eventually dig into. this isn't an option or a concern for roof-top pots).

items listed in approximate decreasing order. if i had to put percentages: 30, 30, 15, 15, 10. roughly.

Not hard. Huge containers will weigh a ton.

Your worst enemy may be mold in the fridge for 4-5 months.

Maybe transplant into dirat an dput that in the fridge....

How much fridge space?

They're made if pine. I anticipate them lasting 5 years before they start to fall apart. They are heavy, but mobile. Keep in mind the grass will probably die underneath them.

I am going to start growing hops for the first time this year, probably won't work in the Dallas sun, 60+ days of 100+ degree F. However, I also rent and I am going to use Jack Daniel's half barrels they sell at home depot. They are 30 a piece, so kind of pricey, but the coolness factor of having hops growing in a used JD barrel seemed to awesome to pass up. You can still smell the whiskey in these barrels.

Indytruks138 said:
I am going to start growing hops for the first time this year, probably won't work in the Dallas sun, 60+ days of 100+ degree F. However, I also rent and I am going to use Jack Daniel's half barrels they sell at home depot. They are 30 a piece, so kind of pricey, but the coolness factor of having hops growing in a used JD barrel seemed to awesome to pass up. You can still smell the whiskey in these barrels.

Our depot has half oak barrels, but their not JD. And we're in the same state. Make a lid for em and put some beer in em.

In Australia, hops growers are exceeding your dallas temps and sun with AWESOME results.

Containers are the wrong way to go. (raised beds are not Containers per se)

If you are going to move: Dig up and move the rhizomes (store in fridge if necesssary)

If you are not going to move: put them in the ground, or a container open to the ground on the bottom. Raised beds are good, rubbermade is only good if you want to contain the spread of rhizomes.

In Australia, hops growers are exceeding your dallas temps and sun with AWESOME results.

Containers are the wrong way to go.

If you are going to move: Dig up and move the rhizomes (store in fridge if necesssary)

If you are not going to move: put them in the ground, or a container open to the ground on the bottom. Raised beds are good, rubbermade is only good if you want to contain the spread of rhizomes.

What is the downfall of the containers? I fully intend on planting in the ground once we buy a place, but I don't know how long we will be here and don't want to deal with destroying part of the yard.

What is the downfall of the containers? I fully intend on planting in the ground once we buy a place, but I don't know how long we will be here and don't want to deal with destroying part of the yard.

Moving is no fun as it is.

My 2nd year rhizone weighed a lot by itself when I dug it out, (just to relocate it within the yard) with another 75 lbs of moist dirt packed around it? it becomes a large piece of furniture. And what if the wooden or plastic containers break in transit?

Dig up the rhizome put it in a trash bag, 400 times more manageable.

In the ground brother, or a raised bed.

Experienced gardener, mover, hop grower.

Moving is no fun as it is.

My 2nd year rhizone weighed a lot by itself when I dug it out, (just to relocate it within the yard) with another 75 lbs of moist dirt packed around it? it becomes a large piece of furniture. And what if the wooden or plastic containers break in transit?

Dig up the rhizome put it in a trash bag, 400 times more manageable.

In the ground brother, or a raised bed.

Experienced gardener, mover, hop grower.

I hear ya. With the JD barrel I planned on just using a handtruck and up the ramp it goes into the moving truck. Couldn't be any harder than a washer/dryer/ the 3 fridges we will have to move. I just want to make sure the 1/2 barrel is big enough for 2 rhizomes, I have two of the half barrels, so I can do one per if needed, but was hoping I could do both in one so the wife could use the other to plant something else.

I hear ya. With the JD barrel I planned on just using a handtruck and up the ramp it goes into the moving truck. Couldn't be any harder than a washer/dryer/ the 3 fridges we will have to move. I just want to make sure the 1/2 barrel is big enough for 2 rhizomes, I have two of the half barrels, so I can do one per if needed, but was hoping I could do both in one so the wife could use the other to plant something else.

...hmmm......lol.

The barrels will break down after a year or 2 with dirt in them............nature of wood. YOU DO NOT WANT TREATED LUMBER for a container.

That being said, I would go one rhizome per barrell for 2 reasons:

First, one rhizome will outgrow the barrell by itself in a few years.

Second, you won't know which type of hops you have (unless they are the same) those suckers will send up shoots 4 ft from the original planting spot the second year, meaning that 2 differing varieties would be all over each other like 2 teens at a drive-in movie.

...hmmm......lol.

The barrels will break down after a year or 2 with dirt in them............nature of wood. YOU DO NOT WANT TREATED LUMBER for a container.

That being said, I would go one rhizome per barrell for 2 reasons:

First, one rhizome will outgrow the barrell by itself in a few years.

Second, you won't know which type of hops you have (unless they are the same) those suckers will send up shoots 4 ft from the original planting spot the second year, meaning that 2 differing varieties would be all over each other like 2 teens at a drive-in movie.

That's really sad to hear that the wood planters will break down after a year or two, kind of lame for home depot to sell them as planters and not advise that they won't last.

I am doing the same variety of rhizome in each one. I didn't know they spread so fast, if we end up staying here more than 2 more years I will have to break down and put them in the ground.

Thank you for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

That's really sad to hear that the wood planters will break down after a year or two, kind of lame for home depot to sell them as planters and not advise that they won't last.

I am doing the same variety of rhizome in each one. I didn't know they spread so fast, if we end up staying here more than 2 more years I will have to break down and put them in the ground.

Thank you for all your help and advice, I really appreciate it.

Either they rot or they are treated.

cheezydemon3 said:
Either they rot or they are treated.

I have worked with treated lumber for over 17 yrs. I think most of the paranoia of using treated wood comes from the days when arsenic was used. In fact my local gardening expert at the CO-OP told me not to use it unless you wrap it in a plastic barrier because of the arsenic. About 7 years ago(I think) treated lumber suppliers were forced to change to alkaline based treatment then 5 years ago they changed to micronized copper which has been around since. Micronized copper is still not healthy for you but is not as hurtful as the previous treatment chemicals. IMO. And is safe for vegetable consumption. My father in law works at a copper fitting manufacturing plant and they have no osha safeguards besides not breathing airborne copper dust. If anyone has evidence otherwise please prove me wrong. So if your scared then just wrap it in a plastic barrier, but be aware not all treated lumber is rated for underground use and could rot under the 15 or 30 year warranty.

Plant.
It.
In.
The.
Ground.

If you have to dig it up later, then dig it up.

If that's a problem, then hop-growing probably isn't in your cards right now.

For the guy who must grow on the roof, use rubbermaid containers. Expect problems. Especially in Chicago. I'd be more worried about the trellis system on a roof, in the wind, than anything else.

Either one of you will be $50 to $150 (or more) into this project before you are done, and $50 to $150 buys alot of hops from HopsDirect.

Yeah Yeah Yeah... you want to do it yourself.... I know... I know you do. But right now, you live in a downtown apartment and/or rent a house you are leaving in less than a year.

What do yall want, a magic unicorn or possibly some random member to post his secret for growing hops in styrofoam cups for decades?

Sorry to sound so harsh, but the info is out there, it's thrown at you, and topics like this come up all the time, the truth is told, people don't want to listen, make excuses, I used to be a moron also, so no hate coming anyone's way.

As far as copper treated lumber, don't use it on aluminum boats.

I have worked with treated lumber for over 17 yrs. I think most of the paranoia of using treated wood comes from the days when arsenic was used. In fact my local gardening expert at the CO-OP told me not to use it unless you wrap it in a plastic barrier because of the arsenic. About 7 years ago(I think) treated lumber suppliers were forced to change to alkaline based treatment then 5 years ago they changed to micronized copper which has been around since. Micronized copper is still not healthy for you but is not as hurtful as the previous treatment chemicals. IMO. And is safe for vegetable consumption. So if your scared then just wrap it in a plastic barrier, but be aware not all treated lumber is rated for underground use and could rot under the 15 or 30 year warranty.

You are correct. Micronized copper azole is one wood preservative treatment that is considered safe.

I'm glad to see that this has sparked some conversation :)

I think that I'm just going to put them right into the ground and dig them up this winter when I move. If any of them die... they die. I'll just get new crowns from GLH :)

BTW Fletch78, I garden and brew because I like to do it... and I don't think that there is a magic unicorn solution to any problem. I just wondered if anyone had any advice. I have almost 600 square feet of garden space and believe me, I know that I don't save any money compared to going to the grocery store.

Who carries these magic unicorn hops? I'd like to get some of those. They sound awesome.

I have grown hops in big pots before and never had any proplems. Had them in pots for 3 years and always had a great harvest. If the pot are the right size to give the plant room to grow your good. You can't keep them in pots forever the root system on hop plants get huge but for a couple year your be fine.

I'm glad to see that this has sparked some conversation :)

I think that I'm just going to put them right into the ground and dig them up this winter when I move. If any of them die... they die. I'll just get new crowns from GLH :)

Instead of spending money on containers, go over to English Gardens on Coolidge and ask them for 7 or 10 gal plastic pots and whether you plant them in the ground or wherever, you can always dig them up and put them in these pots with some soil and take them with you. Nurseries have tons of pots laying around especially ones that sell potted trees.
And with any care they won't die. If you put the crowns in soil, you can store them in a garage for the winter.

Plant.
It.
In.
The.
Ground.

If you have to dig it up later, then dig it up.

If that's a problem, then hop-growing probably isn't in your cards right now.

For the guy who must grow on the roof, use rubbermaid containers. Expect problems. Especially in Chicago. I'd be more worried about the trellis system on a roof, in the wind, than anything else.

Either one of you will be $50 to $150 (or more) into this project before you are done, and $50 to $150 buys alot of hops from HopsDirect.

Yeah Yeah Yeah... you want to do it yourself.... I know... I know you do. But right now, you live in a downtown apartment and/or rent a house you are leaving in less than a year.

What do yall want, a magic unicorn or possibly some random member to post his secret for growing hops in styrofoam cups for decades?

Sorry to sound so harsh, but the info is out there, it's thrown at you, and topics like this come up all the time, the truth is told, people don't want to listen, make excuses, I used to be a moron also, so no hate coming anyone's way.

As far as copper treated lumber, don't use it on aluminum boats.

Woah there Mr. Elitist. Glad you used to be a moron, but get off your high horse before you attempt to call me one.

First off, I want to grow it in the JD half barrel to try it out, I don't know if I will enjoy growing hops and I'm not going to ruin part of the yard at a rental when they will grow just fine in an approximately 30 gallon pot for a couple years.

I'm not sure why you think I want a magical unicorn hop growing machine, I'm realistic. I live in Dallas, where it is pretty hard to grow hops based on the number of 100+ degree days we have over the summer.

Why would you discourage someone from trying something new, isn't that what this hobby is all about? If I want to try my hand at growing a couple hops plants, not to save money, not to get enough to brew all my batches, but just to see what happens because I think its cool, either try to give useful advice or GTFO.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but the info is out there, it's thrown at you, and topics like this come up all the time, the truth is told, people don't want to listen, make excuses, I used to be a moron also, so no hate coming anyone's way. I 'm just going to go hump the fridge

Ummmm SEARCH BUTTON MUCH????

sorry, but when something has been covered, and we have to rehash it all again......

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/only-one-mythical-beast-life-293117/index6.html

Are we babies? Fletch wanted a 1 and done "Heres is what I think, and I used to be a moron" can we blame him? (And I am so glad to be turned back on to these unicorns!!)

I was using hop faries to do the labor in wrapping my treated planks in foodsafe plastic, to protect from COPPER PIOISONING!!! but evidently if you kill the unicorn and wrap it's skin around the wood, it doesn't leach nasty BPA from the plastic when the soil reaches 200 degrees F!!!

(It may take 4-5 unicorns to cover a 3x3 growbox)

Also, the faries have more energy for bow hunting aphids and protecting my bear....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/apparently-i-have-evil-gnomes-stealing-bear-out-my-primary-187905/

Also, also, grind up the horn and use it as fertilizer. My hallertaur infused w/unicorn was around 125% AA last year.

Also, also, also I don't think fletch was attacking anyone personally, and we need to be sensetive to his handicap.(used to be a moron)

moosebites can be nasty

thread killa...................;)

You said the magic words, now it'll never die, with out mod power that is...

I'd have to agree with those who said putting them in the ground if at all possible is the best option. Just dig them up and put them in trash bags, they'll be fine in bags for a month or more if they stay most and cool enough to stay dormant.
Though for first year plants you'll get a good amount of growth in a bucket and can transplant them next year. You'd need a really big bucket to get a good producing plant, but you wont get there in one year no matter where you plant them.

That is just what I needed Hardhead!

Unicorns, as we all know, frolic all over the world, pooping rainbows and marshmallows wherever they go. What you don't know is that when unicorns reach the end of their lifespan, they are drawn to County Meath, Ireland. The Sisters at Radiant Farms have dedicated their lives to nursing these elegant creatures through their final days. Taking a cue from the Kobe beef industry, they massage each unicorn's coat with Guinness daily and fatten them on a diet comprised entirely of candy corn. As the unicorn ages, its meat becomes fatty and marbled and the living bone in the horn loses density in a process much like osteoporosis. The horn's outer layer of keratin begins to develop a flavor very similar to candied almonds. Blending the crushed unicorn horn into the meat adds delightful, crispy flavor notes in each bite. We are confident you will find a world of bewilderment in every mouthful of scrumptious unicorn meat.

•14 ounces of delicious unicorn meat, canned for your convenience
•Imported from a small independent cannery in County Meath, Ireland
•Okay, for real: you can't eat this. It's a dismembered stuffed unicorn in a can.

Gonna get one of those shirts for my daughter.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/womens/de42/

Wow, really going right for the kill there... funny, I don't remember you being on the olde TKT... though maybe I know you by a different name, which is now banned for life.

Back