Removing valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the valve on a Guinness keg
I want to clamp a 2inch ferrule to it
I found a very informative way to remove the valves and cut them for keggels, but these are different
There is no clip to pull out and the outer ring is impossible to yank it out of its housing
Any advice
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414079887.186412.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1414079917.941444.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Me thinks, that you need the coupler for that keg, along with a "shim" placed under it, ( a nickel or a quarter), to remove the spear.

BUT, I may be thinking of a different style coupler.

After you've relieved the pressure inside the keg (stuff something down the bore to displace the ball) what happens if you take a hammer and something like a small cold chisel (or a beefy blade screw driver in a pinch) and whack against this feature?

It's clear that the spear screws into the receiver clockwise. Unless there's a latch mechanism below that ball, if you bang against that face of the spear it should rotate counter-clockwise out of the threading...

Cheers!

keg_spear.jpg

Granted, I haven't yet looked at the link you provided, but my second keg was a Guinness and I just used a a chisel, as someone else suggested, to unscrew the fitting. Came out like a champ. I believe I had to play with the spear to line the keys up properly to lift it out, but had it out in about 2 min. As it was my second keg...the first being a US keg...I was a bit surprised when I went to remove the spear and found it wasn't the same.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back