Removing Silver Solder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireManDan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently pulled dimples on my Keggle and installed a couple of FNPT stainless fittings using silver solder. More recently I have become very confident in my tig welding of thin wall material and I really want to remove the silver solder and weld those fittings in place.

The reason for this is there are a few places in the solder joint that look as if they have pits. Maybe I am just being super anal but the pits bug me. If anyone has experience or knowledge in removing solder I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thank you in advance.

Heat and a damp cloth will remove most of the solder from copper and stainless, leaving a light tin coating that can be removed mechanically...

Cheers!

in electronics soldering we use copper braid to desolder. Lay the braid on the joint and heat it up and the braid will wick up the solder nice and neat. The stuff I use is pretty small so I assume you'd need something a little bigger, but I'm sure you can find it.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ58XOB/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

here's a quick video that show it in action
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxu1LAoqTRA[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, I recently pulled dimples on my Keggle and installed a couple of FNPT stainless fittings using silver solder. More recently I have become very confident in my tig welding of thin wall material and I really want to remove the silver solder and weld those fittings in place.

The reason for this is there are a few places in the solder joint that look as if they have pits. Maybe I am just being super anal but the pits bug me. If anyone has experience or knowledge in removing solder I would greatly appreciate the feedback. Thank you in advance.

What kind of Silver Solder are you talking about? Soldering Iron Silver Solder that only has a minute amount of silver in it along with Antimony and Tin. Or are we talking about Silver Solder that was applied with an Acetylene torch. There is a big difference here. Because I believe you are talking about Solder on Stainless then you are using the hotter Solder which is more like a braze then a solder and for that there is only one way. Use a Die Grinder and remove it all then you can Tig it, and grind it and polish it and make it look like it was never there.

I worked a lifetime as a Machinist/Millwright.

Are you worried about the pits for aesthetic reasons or because you think they are a sanitation issue? If the latter, don't be worried....boiling kills all.

Back