Removing scratches from fermenter/bottling buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akaryrye

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I have searched and searched to no avail. The only answer I ever read is that the bucket should be replaced if it has scratches. However, can they be sanded lightly with, say 2000 grit, followed by some buffing with a plastic polish to restore the bucket to a certain degree?

Thanks, and plz go easy on me ... its my first post here. :ban:

Welcome to HBT.

You'd be better off getting a new bucket. That seems like a lot of work and it probably wouldn't help.

well ... after some searching on google, it looks 2000 grit is around 1000nm per particle. The lactobacillus bacteria, on the other hand is 40 - 60 nm or 4% - 6% of that size. Even after polishing, there would be plenty of scratches over 300nm ... so it looks like my idea would make it worse.

oh well, buckets are cheap

Better bottles are a great option too. I clean mine with PBW (powdered brewery wash) or oxyclean and very hot tap water. No rubbing, no brushes (ever), therefore no scratches.

~$15 for a new bucket.

~$20 for a new Better Bottle.

~$40 for a ruined batch + heartbreak + anger + frustration + having to swap out all your plastic gear due to infection.

The mathulator says get a new fermenter.

and you can use your scratched bucket as a new container to hold your star san or whatever to sanitize your bottles, wands, thiefs, etc...

Or get the toilet seat lid and have that second bathroom SWMBO wants

4a.jpg

Get a lid (~$2) for the scratched bucket and use it to store your brewing equipment: caps, capper, hydrometer, thermometer,...

That way your stuff is stored neatly and you know where to look when you need something.

+2 on doubling as a seat.

buy a new bucket.

Back