Removing poppets from keg posts to serve...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll go into my issue later but my question is this...

Can you remove the poppet from the OUT post on a keg and the inside pin from a quick disconnect and still pour from a tap?
- I know that you can't connect the gas to the keg without the beer line connected if you do this.
- I also know that you can never disconnect the beer line if you do this.

But if the beer line/QD always remains connected, is there anything wrong with this?

Long story short, but having a bit of a clogging issue with fruit. I'm Ok with the fruit being in the pour so I'm thinking if I can remove the pin and poppet from the beer line side, should avoid clogs and allow me to pour?

I have never removed the poppet and the QD pin but it seems that should work if you take all the precautions you mentioned.

While the poppet is the most likely place for a clog to occur, it can happen anywhere in the dip tube-post-QD-faucet. Assuming you have the normal bent dip-tube, I would try bending it a bit more than normal to give yourself an inch or so clearance off the bottom. I have done this for both serving and fermenting and it works well as a quick fix. A floating dip tube setup may be the best long term solution.

Good luck

fwiw, it totally works and has been exploited by hbt members before.
I would recommend tagging the beer line to any keg missing its poppet to avoid accidental beer showers should one forget which keg it was :)

Cheers!

perhaps try those "universal" poppets first? I got some of those and they don't have that metal triangle piece. Just a wider spring at the bottom. But you still might have a narrow passage at the top of the poppet anyway?

Latest posts

Back