Removing Cloudy Haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
Ok well I just bottled my "botched" beer the other day. It came out super cloudy, I attributed it to excess starch from the really light crystal malts I used. I figured it was possible with really light crystal malt.

Anyhoo come bottling day I had myself some of the flat leftovers. It's shaping up to be a really fine beer, despite the haze.

Now, for the part that has me befuddled. The following morning when I went to rinse my "samplin' glass" I noticed that some of the haze had separated from the beer.

It was then I started wondering about that cold crashing I hear spoken of, is that the very same leftover protein haze I'm encountering, that you get to separate with the sudden drop in temperature?

I grabbed an experiment bottle and stuck it in the freezer to see what happened....after forgetting it was in there and waiting for it to thaw, I found that the haze was in fact separating from the beer as it thawed.

I was quite excited, unfortunately when I began to pour the haze was so light it didn't take much to bring it out with the beer..I did however manage to avoid a fair bit of it.

I might just keep at this beer, because it's quite pleasant, and if I can finally figure out how to separate the haze from it it will be a very vibrant and clear red.

Is this where I need to invest in a wort chiller rather than a tub of cold water and time?

Also would the addition of Irish moss and gypsum help in a case like this?

With the freezer time successfully separating the haze, I don't think it would be too hard to clear up the next batch. Just looking for a bit of insight.

I generally brew my dark beer, and any haze isn't really an issue. For me it's not an issue anyway, but I wanted this beer to be unmistakably red.

My experiment bottle was a bottle of beer from bottling the day before.

Because I "botched" the recipe I didn't bother with the Irish moss. I know the water in these parts is fairly hard, maybe next batch I'll try it out and see what happens.

I don't really have the means yet for gelatin, as I assume it requires a colder temp than my ambient basement temperature. My mom may have a spare mini fridge just big enough to accommodate a bucket, hopefully the air lock too.

Back