Remove Hop Scuzz From Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrausenCrazedCanuck

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Just finished bottling yesterday an experiment of mine that I will call, hop soup coming through! anyhoo, the hop oil krausen that developed left a 2 inch scuzz line in my carboy that I can't seem to remove with my brush, do any of you wise home-brew wizards have a way to remove it post haste? I have an amber ale to brew up this Thursday.
Thanks!

I have heard an overnight soak in oxiclean does wonders and eats it away...Another reason for buckets,but that's a whole different topic

Fill the carboy to a couple inches below the very top with very warm water...drop in a scoop of unscented Oxiclean...fill the remaining couple inches with water...and then just let it sit. Later just drain and rinse well. Unlikely you'll ever need a brush.

Soak with PBW, which will probably take it all off. If it doesn't, can always drop a washcloth in and shake around.

As said above, unscented oxiclean and hot tap water. The scum will remove itself with no scrubbing needed.

+1 for Oxiclean Free. I've never had it not take care of something after an overnight soak. Barely even have to scrub it with the brush. That stuff is fantastic.

Jet rinse your carboy right after harvesting the yeast. There will not be anything sticking below the krausen ring after the jet rinse. Fill the carboy about one-third with warm water. Add two tablespoons of PBW and invert the carboy with a plug. The PBW solution will cover the krausen ring. Let it sit for a couple of hours or a day. With a quick brushing and a jet rinse your carboy is ready for the new wort.

A partially filled carboy is much easier to handle than a full one.

PBW in a strong dilution with a paper towel stuck into the fermenter and swirled around works in minutes, no overnight waiting.

+1 on the PBW. Run straight hot tap water--100 to 110F--into the carboy, add about 1 oz per gallon of PBW, let it sit for a few hours. It should rinse squeaky clean.

I'm with Jim311.

I do similar but use a cotton rag and regular, Cascade type, dishwasher detergent. Doesn't take long with a little effort. Quart of very warm water. Tablespoon of Cascade.

All the Best,
D. White

+1 on the PBW. Run straight hot tap water--100 to 110F--into the carboy, add about 1 oz per gallon of PBW, let it sit for a few hours. It should rinse squeaky clean.

Not to derail the thread here but
really hot water can weaken glass carboys and cause stress cracks which lead to lots of stiches from a broken carboy.
I'm not sure if 110-F is in the danger zone or not but figured it wouldn't hurt mentioning it.:mug:

Jet rinse your carboy right after harvesting the yeast. There will not be anything sticking below the krausen ring after the jet rinse. Fill the carboy about one-third with warm water. Add two tablespoons of PBW and invert the carboy with a plug. The PBW solution will cover the krausen ring. Let it sit for a couple of hours or a day. With a quick brushing and a jet rinse your carboy is ready for the new wort.

A partially filled carboy is much easier to handle than a full one.

^This. Only use what's needed, inverted, to cover the area in question. Patience, they say, is paramount.

Not to derail the thread here but
really hot water can weaken glass carboys and cause stress cracks which lead to lots of stiches from a broken carboy.
I'm not sure if 110-F is in the danger zone or not but figured it wouldn't hurt mentioning it.:mug:

Yeah, I wouldn't go hotter than what you can get out of your tap. I use the hot water out of my bathtub faucet for my carboys. I've been using them for 5 years now with no problem.

Back