Remove and re-use weatherstripping on collar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
So I have a little GE 7cf freezer (which I can't quite seem to squeeze the 4th keg into :( ) that I am using as a keezer, and am ready to put a collar on so I can fit out some taps. I was planning to mount the collar to the top (mostly to make keg changing easier), and thought I had read somewhere that people take the weatherstripping off the top and re-attach it to the bottom of the collar. Without taking a chance at ruining it, I can't see if there is something holding it on.

Is there a simple trick, or do I need to destroy it and get aftermarket weatherstripping to put back on? Or should I re-think my plan and mount the collar to the base?

Mine had plastic rivets holding it so it was easy to do. If you end up ripping it, it's not a big deal. Like you said....weather stripping works fine.

mine was plastic rivet / clipped on, just popped them out carefully with a flat head screwdriver. I was able to re-use my gasket by folding back the thick part of the gasket and using a staple gun to attach it to the wooden collar. I've done it 3 times now, all work great. (Keezer #1, Keezer #2, Ferm. Chamber).

Yeah, I folded it back and it appears to be somehow attached to the back (inside) edge. Nothing obvious - it almost seems like there must be a slot in the lid and a bead on the weatherstrip pushes in there. Guess I'll just have to start prying and be prepared to have to replace it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back