Remove and re-use weatherstripping on collar?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DNW

Reaction score
So I have a little GE 7cf freezer (which I can't quite seem to squeeze the 4th keg into :( ) that I am using as a keezer, and am ready to put a collar on so I can fit out some taps. I was planning to mount the collar to the top (mostly to make keg changing easier), and thought I had read somewhere that people take the weatherstripping off the top and re-attach it to the bottom of the collar. Without taking a chance at ruining it, I can't see if there is something holding it on.

Is there a simple trick, or do I need to destroy it and get aftermarket weatherstripping to put back on? Or should I re-think my plan and mount the collar to the base?

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mine had plastic rivets holding it so it was easy to do. If you end up ripping it, it's not a big deal. Like you said....weather stripping works fine.

BillKlineVT

Reaction score
mine was plastic rivet / clipped on, just popped them out carefully with a flat head screwdriver. I was able to re-use my gasket by folding back the thick part of the gasket and using a staple gun to attach it to the wooden collar. I've done it 3 times now, all work great. (Keezer #1, Keezer #2, Ferm. Chamber).

OP
DNW

DNW

Reaction score
Yeah, I folded it back and it appears to be somehow attached to the back (inside) edge. Nothing obvious - it almost seems like there must be a slot in the lid and a bead on the weatherstrip pushes in there. Guess I'll just have to start prying and be prepared to have to replace it.

Thanks!