Removal of head during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I sometimes use a 6 gal plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid for fermentation. This enables me to skim off foam, brown sludge etc up to 4 times a day for 2 days. THen I wait for 2 consecutive identical refractometer readings, and bottle with minimal priming sugar. When I use an 11 gal carboy, it is not practical to skim, but a lot of sludge ends up stuck to the glass above the liquid. I feel skimming should give a cleaner, purer taste, any thoughts ?

Don't worry about the krausen. That stuff will all fall to the bottom of the carboy/bucket when the yeasties are done doing their thing. It will be even more clear if you can somehow cold crash before transfer.

Skimming the top 4 times a day sounds like a lot of work for something that isnt helping. The yeast have a purpose, you are taking them away. Plus the risk of infection just went up 4 fold every day you open the bucket.

no your wrong. all skimming does is remove yeast you are using to ferment your beer. this is fine if you want to save it for use with another batch. letting it sit in the primary for 3ish weeks, proper temperature control, a large enough starter, and aging will give you "a cleaner, purer taste". that sludge is just dead yeast and hops resins. use PBW to clean it off if that's your issue.

I think the white foam above the beer is mainly water and protein and irish moss solution etc etc. After skimming you can see that the CO2 bubbles are coming from the bottom. I think top fermenting yeast is a bit of a misnomer. If I make very similar beers in bucket - skimming - and carboy - no skimming, I cannot really see or taste any difference.

If I make very similar beers in bucket - skimming - and carboy - no skimming, I cannot really see or taste any difference.

Right, so why waste the time and exponentially raise the risk of contamination?

I think what you are talking about is removing the braun hefe from the top. It's a concept that was debated for a while in homebrewing. It went along with the debate over whether or not you should use a blowoff tube. It was believed that the stuff that was pushed through the blowoff was somehow undesirable to have in your beer. The use of a blowoff tube is still something that many people recommend, but it is for safety. I think the whole braun hefe debate is another concept that come over from commercial brewing, that never really applied to homebrewing.

Bottom line is there's no practical reason for you to do what you're doing.

thanks all - the link someone posted above is very informative - to me it inferred that the beer is ready for drinking sooner if you skim the head. As for contamination, the Yorkshire Square slate method ferments the beer in slate rectangles without lids! Presumably relying on a thick layer of CO2 sitting above the beer, anybody know the SG of a typical bacteria?

for info from wikipedia...
During the double dropping process the wort (newly brewed, fermenting beer) is first fermented for a period of time before being transferred, under gravity or by other means, into a lower vessel where it continues fermentation. The dropping process has two primary effects on the beer being fermented: the trub that has settled during the first period of fermentation will be left behind, leaving a cleaner beer and a cleaner yeast to crop from the beer for the next fermentation; the second effect is the aeration of the wort, which results in healthy clean yeast growth, and in certain circumstances butterscotch flavours from the production of diacetyl.[16][17]

Breweries using the double dropping process include Wychwood Brewery who contract brew Brakspear branded beers,[16] and Flack Manor.[18] Marston's use the name Double Drop for one of their beers as they use the related brewing method of the Burton Union system.[19] Wychwood transfers the wort the morning after the day fermentation started - typically about 16 hours later. This process originally took place at the Brakspear brewery in Henley. When Brakspear moved to the Refresh UK's brewery in Witney, a new brewery was built to include the original double dropping system.[20] Brakspear claim that some of the flavour common to its beer is due to a combination of its very old complex multi-strain yeast and the dropping method which encourages it to produce the butterscotch-flavoured compound diacetyl.

Black Sheep Brewery describe how most of UK brewing is done....
The method adopted almost universally throughout the rest of the country is known as the skimming system. In this system, the head of yeast formed during the beer’s fermentation is skimmed off its surface into outlets at the side of the fermentation vessels.

Get the Chris White book, Yeast. What you are describing is top cropping of the yeast. You can reuse it provided you can sterilize your collection tools. I wouldn't recommend skimming all of it off as you are taking some of the most flocullent yeast out of the fermenter. These yeast will help clean up the fermentation by products. If you take too much yeast out to early, you will have more off flavors. Get the book. Lots of good info in there.

Back