Remembering my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bragg411

Reaction score
I am sitting around thinking about my first beer. It was a total disaster, because I was unable to bring my wort to a boil. It was a extract brewers best American ale i think, but the the thing is it turned out crazy it was good, it was dry and tasted like champagne. I'm all grain brewing now and have tried champagne yeast and tons of different things but have never been able to replicate this taste does any one out there know how to make a champagne like ale. Keep in mind I'm kind of New only have a year under my belt and not a lot of time to research as much as I wish I did. Man I remember it being so tasty but like nothing I have ever tasted in a beer but it was spot on a cheap champagne

My first beer was the Black Dog Ale extract kit from Midwest. Myself and 5 friends got together on a cold winter day and brewed the beer in the kitchen on the stove. The process seemed to take forever I remember and the wife and kids were less than pleased with the mess and the smell emanating from the kitchen over the course of 3+ hours.

Luckily everything went off without a hitch, the beer fermented perfectly, in typical Noob fashion everything about the process was rushed as the directions said one week primary, one week secondary, prime and bottle. Amazingly upon first taste we all got together again for the first taste and thought it was awesome! after all, we made beer!

Now, a few years later and an all grain process taking over and thinking back, the beer wasn't that great, the color was over caramelized, the beer was over carbonated, there was really no balance to the beer and boy, have we learned a lot!

You know it could be I just remember it tasting so good because It was beer that I had made. If I had it today I would prolly be less pleased haha. I'm just happy I've stuck with its the best hobby ever.

I'm about to do batch 2 but when I think to all the things I did 'wrong' on batch 1, it's amazing it turned out so well ;)

When I first saw the thread title,I thought the op ment the first beer he'd ever drunk. Wheeew,better break out the wayback machine for that one. Like that other thread,when was the first time ya got sick drinking. I still don't remember...but,like Woodstock,if you remember it clearly,you weren't there.
My first brew was the OS lager kit that came with my Cooper's micro brew kit. It turned out good after 4 weeks conditioning,& a few days in the fridge. Like a light pale ale that def needed some hop flavor,but still quite good. Especially after some noob mistakes from parts of the process that didn't transfer from wine making years ago. But I'm much better now...:drunk:

Back