reloaders??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odorf

Guru of Nothing
Reaction score
do we have any reloaders in the house?

fb.gif

I still have the gear to cast and reload, but I stopped when the price of everything tripled. I used to shoot my 45 for about a nickel a shot. I still reload deer hunting rounds, because it's a lot cheaper than buying them.

I still have the gear to cast and reload, but I stopped when the price of everything tripled. I used to shoot my 45 for about a nickel a shot. I still reload deer hunting rounds, because it's a lot cheaper than buying them.
the way I afford to do it is I belong to a couple of forums of shooters in my state. we network among ourselves.

we even have a vender that comes to our meet an greats that weschedule at the range.

works out for him and us. here is the vendrs trailer yesterday.

i'm paying $23.00 a pound for imr 4895 and $10.00 per 1000 primers

depending on what you shoot, http://www.samcoglobal.com/

20151108_090752_resized.jpg

20151108_090823_resized.jpg

I made the tracer rounds for the SMAW for 2 years. most of it was done by hand. while I appreciate ammo building, I'm glad I don't do it anymore. hats off to y'all.

I cast bullets and reload. I especially like blackpowder cartridges.

I very much enjoy shooting the weapon, but I don't care enough to bother loading the ammunition. Given that I find the range too expensive to bother normally, I suppose this would be a good idea, but given my space constraints I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

Odorf, that is too sweet. The last "deal" I got on primers back in 2009 was $35 per thousand, and I think at the same time H4895 was about $15 per pound. But then everyone started panic buying. The president turned out to be the best gun salesmen in history, saying"I have my pen I'm going to use it" and that drove everyone to buy a gun before it was too late, and those people needed ammo, and that drove the price up, so I had to stop shooting. It's kind of ironic. At least IL got CC I still have that going for me.

I own a few items for reloading, but I haven't taken it up yet. To be honest, I can't even remember if my gear was for the .300 Savage, or for the Auto5 16 gauge. I think the Savage equipment may be a resize die only so I could get started reloading for that since ammo is very hard to find for it, or it's terribly expensive. Then I decided I wasn't probably ever going to use it since I also had my dad's 30-.06 if I ever wanted to shoot a deer.

It works our very well to have your own range when working up new loads.
P1030305crop.jpg
I have to be careful though. Shooting some new .357 loads. A deer walks into the range to eat. The deer was one that is a year round resident.

I've been thinking about reloading for my .223 and .270 (maybe the .357), then I realize that I only shoot them a few times a year and have a decent stock pile already.

Have always wanted to get into it though. Nice setup.

Odorf, that is too sweet. The last "deal" I got on primers back in 2009 was $35 per thousand, and I think at the same time H4895 was about $15 per pound. But then everyone started panic buying. The president turned out to be the best gun salesmen in history, saying"I have my pen I'm going to use it" and that drove everyone to buy a gun before it was too late, and those people needed ammo, and that drove the price up, so I had to stop shooting. It's kind of ironic. At least IL got CC I still have that going for me.

sorry, i told a fib, it is 20 dollars a 1000 for lg rifle i ont know what i was thinking, typing 10 dollars.

I get my berdan primers from http:// DAG AMMO.com
place is run by disabled vets, check em out if you get a chance

I made my bench from salvaged lumber and posts from a horse corral. I built it with an injured hand. Couldn't get the posts below the frostline so each Spring I need to relevel the bench with a post maul. Five minutes and it is ready to go again for the season.

.38 DEWC for now, nice clean holes in paper and dont dent my steel. .223 and 45-70 are my favorite rifle rounds to reload.

I often thought about sitting at the bench for hunting season. Electric heater under the bench.
View attachment 316443

I have my favorite stand. I go sit under it around 7pm. sleep right there

around 4 am, climb up get in the seat. I get one every time if I do this.

when I walk to the stand, I see nothing

my best friends daughter, got this doe this morning. 80 yard shot, her first, she is 12

we proud for her

Attachments

• 20151115_171055.jpg
    20151115_171055.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 75
I reload for my .270win and .338winmag, occasionally for the .357 magnum. I don't shoot much these days so I haven't reloaded anything in quite some time.

cool, love pictures of guns, let me introduce you to

Sasha and Tasha, Sasha is from poland and Tasha Zastava from yugo slavia

sasha    tasha 003.JPG

and their lil brother Iggy

sasha an tasha 001.JPG

Yup.. I also cast 45 and 9mm.. haven't done a whole lot of it recently as hooby time in the last year or so has been homebrewing...

Suppose I need to get back to it, and teaching too as I am a Certified NRA Pistol Instructor and RSO who's been inactive for over a year.. too busy...

Fred

I have a Lyman single stage press and a Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles. I reload for 9mm, .380, 357 Sig, 357 mag, 38 spc, .40, .45 acp, 10 mm, 44 mag, 500 mag, 223, 762x39, 243, and 30-06. I moved and haven't yet set my reloading station back up, but I'll post pictures of my setup in my last house later today.

my buddies are all into progressive loading, i use and old 1960 herters single stage, it is just right for me. while they worry about squibs.

i KNOW each case is exactly what i want it to be.

I bought a bunch of swedish wood tipped training rounds

for very reasonable...

pulled the wood, dumped the powder [saved it]

i was left with primed brass, for 1/2 the price of just brass.

check out the wood tip..never understand why they do that,

198.JPG

I reload and cast for 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 357, 30carbine, and 30/30. Then just reload for 223, 243, 308. Two progressives, two single stages and a turret press. Mostly reload during the winter since I have free time, no yard work to do. I haven't bought ammo in years. Also helps when you have a friend that works at a range so brass or lead is never in short supply.

I reload and cast for 380, 9mm, 40, 45, 357, 30carbine, and 30/30. Then just reload for 223, 243, 308. Two progressives, two single stages and a turret press. Mostly reload during the winter since I have free time, no yard work to do. I haven't bought ammo in years. Also helps when you have a friend that works at a range so brass or lead is never in short supply.

I have a butt load of 30 carbine brass, you interested ?

I sold my carbine :(

my buddies are all into progressive loading, i use and old 1960 herters single stage, it is just right for me. while they worry about squibs.

i KNOW each case is exactly what i want it to be.

If they're worried about squibs, they're not doing it right. I am just as worried about squibs on my progressive press as I am on my single stage... Except that I can knock out several hundred rounds an hour in my progressive, but not my single stage.

I use to reload. I brewed extract and had a RCBS rock chucker. I own a 550b with all the major calibers, primers, powder and bullets. I've take up running marathons and brewing two or three times a month. I have no time to reload, ammo ready to be shot and reloaded and a couple different beers fermenting. I won't sell the 550 because I know it's worth keeping however I've cut my hobbies by 33% focusing on running and brewing. Beer and running go together. Beer and guns really shouldn't. I think I need a 650 with a case feeder.

very true very true, drinking is for when your off and sitting on the porch.
not for when you are eithr reloading or shooting.

when i reload i will not allow a tv, radio, or computer. i devote 100% concentration to the task at hand.

it is a zin kind of thing.

as far as drinking goes while handeling fire arms.

strickly forbidden,

I grew up in a household full of guns, I have been shooting since I could stand at a card table and hold the rifle up.

safety was drilled into my head over and over.
Are you familiar with the "GIB'S" slap ?
it is a gentle but quite effective slap on the back of your head for not paying attention.
that was Dad's slap, WAAAAAAy before Gib's
when i was young, Dad would use paper plates as targets. he would tell me
aim at the nail {it was in the middle,holding it up]
then, I started hitting that nail.
Why the hell are you aiming at the damn nail?
LOL...
now he had to walk back down and nail it back up

Back