Rejected Rental House Because of Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that if you are able to stay in one place long enough it actually will make you money to buy rather than rent. Why throw the monthly payments away when you can actually get some equity out of them? And tax write offs, and you can officially be a gentleman?

I hear ya, and I know the benefits. Long story short, I was a homeowner for a long time, then my back comepletely failed on me, I couldn't really work for a while there, had to give the place up....lost a ton of money. So we went back to renting. It was nice. I liked not worrying about anything! I just wasn't in a hurry to get back into this wild housing market. Luckily the decision was made for me, no one wanted to take a risk on us becuase of our two very sweet dogs (one being the pit bull that I mentioned). Anyways, we bought again and it's all in the past now.

My landlord actually said she was going to rewrite the new lease saying that we could not brew. When I asked why she said it was bad for the septic tank?? That was 3 years ago I still brew she still thinks it's harming her tank oh well F- her!

Daves69 said:
My landlord actually said she was going to rewrite the new lease saying that we could not brew. When I asked why she said it was bad for the septic tank?? That was 3 years ago I still brew she still thinks it's harming her tank oh well F- her!

Weird. I have a septic tank but I don't put anything down the drain. Everything just goes out into the yard/compost. Not sure how it would hurt the tank anyway though.

Not to crash the party here but I can see where the landlord may be coming from.

He or she has likely spent a bit of money and a ton of time on this house. For some, the slightest hint of trouble will make them say no.

Perhaps he had a bad experience with another home brewer who failed to use a blow off tube and blew his load on the ceiling where it remained after he moved out. Maybe he associated homebrewing with excessive alcohol consumption, stupid behavior and parties. Who knows what he was thinking.

Renting someones personal residence is a privilege and not to be taken as a given right.

...except evict you for some trumped-up BS (your rugs only cover 87.2% of the hardwood floor, and this eighteen-page boilerplate rental agreement you signed specifically states you must cover 90% or more), or just make your life miserable until you evict yourself.

Maybe there's nothing they can do legally, but whether or not they've broken the law is a moot point once you've already moved out. Much better to end up with a landlord who wants you there.

I would love for someone to try that.

Maybe its just me, and I do have a house that I have renters in, but the previous post by Ordinaryaverageguy was way off. Am I going to turn away somebody because they like to cook their food instead of eat out every night?? No. What's the difference?

Maybe its just me, and I do have a house that I have renters in, but the previous post by Ordinaryaverageguy was way off. Am I going to turn away somebody because they like to cook their food instead of eat out every night?? No. What's the difference?

Brewing beer may or may not have been the reason for rejection. There was obviously something that the owner didn't like.

Not to crash the party here but I can see where the landlord may be coming from.

He or she has likely spent a bit of money and a ton of time on this house. For some, the slightest hint of trouble will make them say no.

Perhaps he had a bad experience with another home brewer who failed to use a blow off tube and blew his load on the ceiling where it remained after he moved out. Maybe he associated homebrewing with excessive alcohol consumption, stupid behavior and parties. Who knows what he was thinking.

Renting someones personal residence is a privilege and not to be taken as a given right.

Thats one hell of a load!!!!! The landlord should be impressed not mad

before I moved back to my home town from Vegas, me & 3 others were approved & paid in full for an apartment in my home town. the day we showed up, they denied us based strictly on our appearance. I got the check back & told them to flocc themselves. some places you just don't want to live under. flocc them.

Well, once someone is renting the place from you, it is hard to recoup costs. For example, I have experiences where family has rented a house out to people and the eviction process is a real PITA, especially if it is due to non payment of rent, where the tenant decides to file for bankrupcy. You essentially give them upwards to 3 months free rent. One of my now former tenants skipped out on 3 months rent. Surprisingly I did just receive one months worth the other day. I did not even have the right to keep his stuff as collateral (hold it hostage) until I am paid. I do understand that a landlord to be will want to be picky with whom they rent to. Homeowners insurance policys cost more if there is no stipulation denying pets in your rental agreement.

Additionally if you suspect that the potential renter may be a 'punch holes in the walls and not keep the place clean' type or if there is anything that makes you worry that they may be a deadbeat of some flavor (no reference to the OP at all) it is in their best interest to deny. And with the lack of understanding that many non home brewers have you can understand that they are wary. "Hmmm... is this legal? What else are they making? What am I going to do when the annoyingly nosy neighbor across the way decides they are making meth and the police tear the place apart?"

Very true Braufessor! And yeah, I explained that it is completely legal and that nothing I did associated with brewing would damage the home. All for nothing though. After a little research, we found out these people actually rejected a woman's application because she had cancer and they assumed she wouldn't live through the entire 12 month lease. Pretty good reminder that there are some XXXX people out there.

FTFY. There are only people, and people are irrational, some are just more irrational than others.

And with the lack of understanding that many non home brewers have you can understand that they are wary. "Hmmm... is this legal? What else are they making? What am I going to do when the annoyingly nosy neighbor across the way decides they are making meth and the police tear the place apart?"

When they first showed signs of their lack of knowledge about homebrewing, I provided them with a copy of Virginia Code Title 4.1, Chapter 1, § 4.1-200 which states that homebrewing is a legal activity in the state. Didn't make a difference.

When they first showed signs of their lack of knowledge about homebrewing, I provided them with a copy of Virginia Code Title 4.1, Chapter 1, § 4.1-200 which states that homebrewing is a legalii activity in the state. Didn't make a difference.

I think that made all the difference in the world. From what you said above you insulted their intelligence and started getting all legal on their ignorant asses. Yeah I'm sure it helped your case, oh wait it didn't. It just cemented their position.
And I'm on your side...

1: You don't want a jackass for a landlord. If they are really so horrible that they wouldn't rent to a cancer patient because she might die before the end of the lease, you will probably want out of the lease before it's over and probably won't get your deposit back without a fight.

2: For future reference: pay your rent in full, on time (or early), and don't cause problems. Landlords know that those tenants don't come easily, and won't let you go easily. I know plenty of landlords, and they will make concessions to keep some tenants, but would rather have the place empty than have certain tenants. The house next to ours hasn't had a person that was paying their rent and wasn't cooking meth or subletting rooms (forbidden in the contract) for over ten years, though that streak seems to have ended. A building that my mom used to rent has sat vacant for the five years since she left over rent increases. Wanting an extra $200 a month cost that witch $1750 a month times 60 months. Good math.

Back