Reinforced PVC tubing in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacebrew

Reaction score
question for you all. I built mash tun manifold, but its in a tight location and to make the connection to the valve i needed to use some plastic tubing and two stainless steel hose clamps.

I chose the thick rigid reinforced PVC tubing. I know it wont bend at the high temps and my manifold will work, but what do you think about that?

im wondering if its safe to have high temps leach out at the plastic. it wontever go above 155 at max, so i think ill be ok, just getting paranoid.

Do you think the plastic tubes we use are leeching cancerous chmicals into our bodies?

If you're worried, then make an order for some silicone tubing. That stuff is rated to like 400 degrees or something, so you wouldn't have to worry then.

I personally wouldn't use PVC for something in excess of 120*F, since that is the stated temp limit for potable water systems.

Is that being overly cautious? Maybe.

yea not worried more curious i guess. i use it coming out of the kettle into my plate chiller and that liquid is 50 degrees hotter and it hasnt broken down yet.. lol although i imagine im being slowly poisoned.
oh well. the yeast dont mind it... lol

i read 60 celsius which is 140 mash temps are only 12 degrees higher on average.

yeaah... maybe, but when I mash, I put my water in first, and it's generally heated to well above 160. Then, before I drain to the kettle, I raise the temp to 170*F to denature the enzymes.

As for the temp rating... I've seen 120*F listed, and I've seen 140*F listed. I've also seen that plumbing code does not allow for PVC to be used at all for potable water systems, regardless of temp.

In my house, the only PVC used is for drains. PEX and copper carry the stuff to the faucets.

Will it kill you or make you grow another head? Probably not. But, like devilishprune said, you can get a short length of food-grade high-temp silicone tubing and not have to worry about it at all.

:mug:

Where can I get food grade silicon?

Yea I put water in at 170 and let it drop to 163 before the grains go in. I'll look into silicon.

I got mine from usplastics.com. They have pretty decent prices, I think I walked away with 25ft for 30-35 dollars.

I wouldn't use pvc anything in my brew system. I just used a piece of silicone tubing, it fits snug on the nipples so no clamps are needed.

P1000499.JPG

thanks a lot big help.

I think this is going to be my standard MT build from here on out. Its amazing how similar everyones manifolds look.. lol

Back