Rehydrated to cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and in the thick of everything I accidently rehydrated my US-05 to cold (I think). I forgot to take out my boiled water from the fridge earlier and without thinking I pitched the packet into the water before it warmed up. I believe the water was around 38-40 degrees when I dumped the yeasties. I know by the time I pitched into my primary the slurry had to have gotten up to 50+ degrees but I am wondering if this will cause any harm to the yeast. The fermenter is sitting at about 66 degrees right now. Should I bump up the temp a bit until signs of fermentation start or should I let it sit at the current temp?

Leave it, I stopped rehydrating my dry yeast and haven't had an issue since. The yeast will wake up, reproduce and make your beer.

I agree, I don't rehydrate anymore. But back to your "issue" as soon as the yeast reaches the temp of your wort, and goes above 55 or whatever the dormancy point is, the yeast will wake up and start doing their job. It's really no big deal. It may just take a couple days.

Thanks guys, I've bee using White Labs and starters for a long while so this is the first time in over a year I've used dry yeast. I shall let it sit and let the beasties do there thing. Revy, how did that that huge Barley Wine of yours attenuate?

Thanks guys, I've bee using White Labs and starters for a long while so this is the first time in over a year I've used dry yeast. I shall let it sit and let the beasties do there thing. Revy, how did that that huge Barley Wine of yours attenuate?

Well, About a week ago I took a grav reading and it was down to 1.040, on the same day I racked it to a better bottle added a pound of sugar boiled in a half gallon of water and pitched a starter of WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast, and wrapped it in a thermal blanket. I will take a grav reading again next week, and see where it is at, and see if it is time to bulk age it in glass for a few months.

At 1.040 it is 12.5% Abv already. I pulled a glass out of it, and I can't say it is smooth yet (more like rocket fuel), but it was complex. It will be nice.

Sounds like it will be yummy. That trappist yeast will be very interesting. Quite a hefty beer you got going. Rocket Fuel now, 5 Years = liquid gold ;)

Back