Regulator says I need a tank refill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Ok, I am VERY new to kegging. Just started kegging today, but even after all the videos I have watched, I still feel as though I am at a loss. I guess I am just looking for some straight forward responses (please---none that say I am failing miserably at homebrewing :( )

So anyway, I started kegging with a 3 gallon keg (b/c I dont have more room in the fridge) and I thought I had everything set up right. But when I have it set to 12 psi, the other gauge says I need a refill on CO2 (even though I just got it filled today). Do I have a leak somewhere? Or is my regulator faulty? What would be your best guess/fact that you could give me? Any help would be appreciated, and yes, I know I am a noob with lots of noob questions.

This is very normal. I bet you put the tank in the fridge, right?

That gauge is completely useless. Best thing you can do is put duct tape over it and forget it. You'll know when the tank is empty because the other gauge will show zero.

Since co2 is stored as a liquid, it vaporizes only as needed. The high pressure will vary wildly with temperature.

No worries. We've all figured this out the hard way.

Is your CO2 tank in the refrigerator also?

If so, the reason it shows low is because CO2 turns from liquid to gas at a very low temp. When inside the refrigerator it is at a very low pressure because it is all in liquid form. If you take it out of the fridge and it warms up it will show that it is NOT low.

This is a common question that confuses a lot of people.

BTW... that gauge is worthless for showing tank level. You can not possible know how full a CO2 tank is based off of pressure. The only way is by weight. So don't trust your gauge. What will happen when it is empty is that it will drop straight to zero in a few glasses of beer.

EDIT: Train beat me to it. But you got exact same answers from each of us. Should be a good consensus right?

Thanks Train, thats good to know. Maybe I'll take your advice and just cover it so I dont look at it/worry about it anymore. I have the keg set at about 10 psi in the fridge now. I think I have read that letting it sit around 12 psi is good for carbing right? Just wanna make sure my beer is gonna turn out alright.

[/QUOTE]EDIT: Train beat me to it. But you got exact same answers from each of us. Should be a good consensus right?[/QUOTE]

Haha, yes. Thanks to both of you, at this point I am feeling like I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Train, thats good to know. Maybe I'll take your advice and just cover it so I dont look at it/worry about it anymore. I have the keg set at about 10 psi in the fridge now. I think I have read that letting it sit around 12 psi is good for carbing right? Just wanna make sure my beer is gonna turn out alright.

Set it at about 12-13. Carb level depends upon the beer style most of all. But as a general rule most people prefer the carb levels to be a little on the high side. I set my at 14 for most beers but anywhere 12-14 is common for me.

Also make note that carb level can be different than serving pressure. I carb to 14psi and drop to 12 psi to serve when people are over. Otherwise I have too much foam. I could solve that by going to longer hose though. But when I do drop to serve pressure I have to remember to bring it back up to carb pressure of 14psi otherwise it will lose a small amount of carb from sitting.

Set it at about 12-13. Carb level depends upon the beer style most of all. But as a general rule most people prefer the carb levels to be a little on the high side. I set my at 14 for most beers but anywhere 12-14 is common for me.

Also make note that carb level can be different than serving pressure. I carb to 14psi and drop to 12 psi to serve when people are over. Otherwise I have too much foam. I could solve that by going to longer hose though. But when I do drop to serve pressure I have to remember to bring it back up to carb pressure of 14psi otherwise it will lose a small amount of carb from sitting.

Ok, I just moved it up to about 12-14 psi then. Now, I dont know if I opened it to fast or what but it shot up to about 20 for a second until I turned it off and then back on. Thats not going to over carb my beer and give me too much foam right? I know there is a whole thread on force carbing somewhere and it mentions turning it up to about 30 psi for a minute, shaking, and then turning the co2 down. I am guessing what just happened to me would be along the same effect on the beer?

Back