Regulator question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukslayer888

Reaction score
So I just keged for the first time using a brand new twin keg setup from NB. I have no way as of right now to keep the CO2 tank outside the fridge, so I placed everything inside. The fridge is currently around 40 degrees.

I know that the cold temps will screw with the high pressure gauge, but my question is this - I place the pressure to the beer at 10 psi yesterday morning when I put the whole thing in the fridge and last night it was down to 6 so I cranked it back up to 10. I woke up this morning and it was back down to 6 - so I put it back to 10. Is this merely the cold temps, the pressure stabilizing, a leak, or is the regulator screwed up?

I've read that the cold should not mess with the pressure gauge to the beer, and I thought when you set the pressure it would stay where you put it and I have yet to locate a leak - so that leads me to believe the regulator is junk.

Thoughts?

Crank your pressure up to 20 and check for leaks. If none then it's your beer absorbing the C02. That would be my best guess.

The regulator is supposed to regulate the PSI, period. If the beer absorbs CO2 and drops the pressure, the regulator is supposed to admit more gas to bring it back to the pressure you set.

Are you leaving the bottle on?

Is the valve on the co2 cylinder open all the way?

The cold isn't screwing with the high pressure gauge, cooling the tank lowers the pressure inside so the reading goes down. That's physics, not a problem with the gauge. I agree with Bishop it sounds like a faulty regulator if it is continuing to drift.

When I got my system I had a similar problem but it didn't continue like yours.
I filled both kegs set pressure to 10psi and all of it went into the kegerator at 38*F. The next day both high and low pressure gauges had dropped in pressure so I readjusted to 10psi and haven't had a problem since. On my 5th keg now. I just chalked it up the the temperature change.
You may have a faulty regulator

Has anyone ever considered/attempted to insulate the tank when placing it in the fridge? I am going to try and put the tank into a cardboard box w/ some insulation until I get my keezer collar built.

Insulating the tank won't do anything. The insulation will just slow down the heat transfer but, given time, your tank will end up at the same temperature as the fridge.

If it was a leak you'd probably be out of co2 by now, it really pisses away overnight

Are you "locking" in the adjustment dial? Maybe its slipping. Or simply as Bishop suggested the tank isn't open

Update...

This morning I Cranked it up to 30 PSI and checked for leaks by spraying with star San - found none so I brought it back down to 10 psi and left for work.

Came home from work and it's back down to 6.......

Tanks is open and valve is open. I'm going to try switching the co2 line over to the other gauge and see if anything changes

Sounds like a bad regulator that just isn't maintaining pressure once you go past 6psi, like once it hits 6 the pressure is low enough that it can keep a seal. I really wish everyone could avoid buying the Chinese regulators most of these companies are pedaling with fancy names cause most are garbage. I switched to a Taprite after my KegCo regulator failed and couldn't be happier, not a problem since. I'd call them and either ask for a refund (preferable and buy a Taprite or Micromatic) or get it replaced.

Of course, I could be wrong however.

Rev.

So I switched the line over to the other gauge and have another issue....

I dial the pressure up to 10 psi on this gauge, and it sits there for about 2 seconds then it slowly climbs and climbs and climbs...

I then released the pressure, and set it back to 10 - and it did the same thing again.... I let it climb by itself till it hit 40 psi and disconnected the whole thing.

Fairly certain now that the regulator is junk - which is strange because it's brand new..

Thoughts??

The climb and climb till it blows the release valve is exactly the problem I experienced when my KegCo regulator failed. It happened after my first tank was near empty and I hooked up my second tank (I always have a backup). The regulator was bad and had failed. BeverageFactory was super helpful and sent me out a replacement and even sent 2nd day delivery at their charge. But after calling it in I did some Google searching and found this exact problem happening to many others with KegCo regulators. I decided I didn't want to deal with this again and ordered a Taprite, which is the same brand as my 3 product secondary regulator. All was great since day one and still going strong a year later. I kept the KegCo replacement as a backup, still sitting in box and probably won't ever use it.

Rev.

It is a governor dual body regulator....

Just sent an email to NB... Going to try and get a refund/replacement and buy myself a taprite..

Thanks for all the input and help!

It is a governor dual body regulator....

Just sent an email to NB... Going to try and get a refund/replacement and buy myself a taprite..

Thanks for all the input and help!

Check out birdman. I got my set up from him and the prices were great not to mention customer service rocks. Had a leaking tap so I emailed him and he sent out a new tap the same day at no charge.
http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/categories/CO2-Regulators/

Back