Regulator Problem!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy1207

Reaction score
I just set up my Kegging system yesterday and I'm already having a problem. My own stupidity i suppose. I keep everything inside my keezer and right now its at 34 degrees (having trouble with my new digital johnson controller that should be fixing itself right now). I have my Co2 tank hooked up to my dual guage regulator, and the regulator hooked up to 1 keg. I just can't seem to get the pressure right. It appears that i have closed the valve on the regulator but it still climbs. I don't mean a few points, last night it got all the way to 50 while I was asleep. I am dumbfounded. What am I doing wrong here?

What did you have it set to when the beer was at 32 degrees?
Could be CO2 coming out of solution as the temp rises.

I am having trouble setting it in general. it always slowly creeps up higher and higher. I close the adjustment screw all the way and released all the pressure and it still climbs. Something is definitely screwy here.

Really need more info but sounds to me (and I'm not an expert) like the pressure in your keg was higher than your set output pressure from the regulator. Was the keg cold when you put it in? Did it get shaken up while transported? What pressure do you have your regulator set at?

Did you try closing the screw valve on top of the tank and bleeding the pressure off the keg? Sounds like the keg has more pressure than your output. I'd make sure the keg is good and cold, bleed excess pressure off and try again. You mentioned you have the valve on the regulator closed. Is that the valve on top the CO2 cylinder or the valve out of the regulator. If your valve out of the reg is closed and the pressure you dialed into the reg is high to high that could be it also. It takes a little while for the dialed in pressure to come up even with the valve coming out of the reg closed. What happens when you pour a beer? Does it shoot out and full of foam?

And if you tried all that, I'd say the regulator is bad

I just looked I have the co2 system disconnected from the keg, the valve on the tank shut, however co2 is still getting into the regulator? I fear I broke something. it doesn't make any sense to me with the adjustment screw shut and the valve on the tank shut.

Really need more info but sounds to me (and I'm not an expert) like the pressure in your keg was higher than your set output pressure from the regulator. Was the keg cold when you put it in? Did it get shaken up while transported? What pressure do you have your regulator set at?

Did you try closing the screw valve on top of the tank and bleeding the pressure off the keg? Sounds like the keg has more pressure than your output. I'd make sure the keg is good and cold, bleed excess pressure off and try again. You mentioned you have the valve on the regulator closed. Is that the valve on top the CO2 cylinder or the valve out of the regulator. If your valve out of the reg is closed and the pressure you dialed into the reg is high to high that could be it also. It takes a little while for the dialed in pressure to come up even with the valve coming out of the reg closed. What happens when you pour a beer? Does it shoot out and full of foam?

And if you tried all that, I'd say the regulator is bad

Beer comes out fine tbh, good head not overcarbed. Right now it appears I have everything shut off, however there still appears to be Co2 coming in. I'll take a couple pics.

I just looked I have the co2 system disconnected from the keg, the valve on the tank shut, however co2 is still getting into the regulator? I fear I broke something. it doesn't make any sense to me with the adjustment screw shut and the valve on the tank shut.

Your keg is disconnected so no pressure is backfilling your reg.
The valve on top of your tank is closed... and I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but did you turn it CCW or CW?

Here is the Tank valve on, adjustment screw fully turned ccw.

ForumRunner_20110830_174048.jpg

Your keg is disconnected so no pressure is backfilling your reg.
The valve on top of your tank is closed... and I don't mean to sound like an a$$ but did you turn it CCW or CW?

When you close the valve on your CO2 tank and bleed the residual pressure off your reg, what happens? Does the tank output pressure, the one on the left drop to zero?

I just did this so lets go see! (Previously) I turned the tank valve off and bleed the pressure to 0. Came inside dilly dally'd around on the computer for 5-7 minutes (watching epic meal time). I just check it and the pressure was at 3-4PSI. So I bled it out again.

Latest posts

Back