regulator got wet/submerged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I have a canvas bag that I use to carry around my tapping stuff (hoses fittings, etc). One way or another this bag wound up in a tub of ice water. Unfortunately I had a regulator in the bag that wound up at least partially submerged in the water for several hours. I believe the regulator was backed off and the valve on the output side was closed so hopefully the water intrusion was minimized.
I currently have the regulator just kind of drip drying in the sun. Anything else that should be done? I was thinking about just running some co2 through it to push out any water. I'd really rather not disassemble it.
Thanks a bunch!
Chris

I will be honest I'm not really familiar with the inside of a regulator other than taking it apart a few apart to fix them but I don't see how it would cause a problem. All the regs I have seen are brass so they won't rust and I have submerged my reg before to leak test. Granted it was hooked up to the tank and a hose on the output so there shouldn't have been a way for water to get inside but again I wouldn't worry. Running c02 through should push out any water that could have gotten in there. Hopefully someone else will post soon with a more official/ reasoned answer but I just wanted to chime in to say that I wouldn't worry about it so RDWHAHB.

As mentioned above: run some CO2 through it, and it should dry it out enough, although on the "atmosphere" side of the diaphragm, you'll have to blow that out with compressed air, (GENTLY), and ONLY, if there is another route for the compressed air to exit.

Then all ya' need to worry about is your gauges, if they got submerged.

Back